Council

"She's a witch!"

"She attacked our kingdom!"

"Her and the sorcerer are plotting to destroy our land!"

"ENOUGH!" Arthur silenced the council.
"Morgana has been in Camelot for a year now, and she has gained my trust. She has repented of her crimes and has served due time for them. She is also a member of the Pendragon line and will be respected!"

Arthur continued berating the council, but Morgana had heard enough. She quietly slipped out the back door as the council was still arguing. She stopped in the hallway with her back against a wall, holding her head in her hands. Soon after she heard a set of footsteps approaching her. She looked up to see Gwen baring a look of apology. Morgana allowed Gwen to pull her into a warm embrace as Morgana just continued to stare at the wall ahead of her.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Gwen whispered.

"I wouldn't know where to start. I'm honored; truly I am. But the people will never trust me, not as they once did. I still don't know if this is such a good idea."

"In time the people will see who you are. With so much change happening right now the people are quick to react. Eventually, things will calm down."

Morgana thought back to the council chamber, realizing she left both Arthur and Merlin to deal with them.

"I assume the council is still arguing."

"They were when I left."

"I shouldn't have left Arthur and Merlin to fend for me by themselves." Morgana gulped.

"They'll be fine. Arthur is more than used to taking opposition from the council. I think Merlin will fight for you until the sun dies."

Morgana chuckled.
"Few are more loyal. I have done nothing to deserve such stubbornly loyal friends."

"You would do the same for us. In fact, you have on multiple occasions. Do not let the wrongs of your past blind you from the beauty of your future."

"Thank you, Gwen. You have always had a kind heart."

The two lingered in the hallway for a few minutes before Arthur and Merlin joined them. They both looked worn, but determined.

"Well?" Morgana questioned.

"Two council members have resigned, but the rest seem inclined to see reason," Arthur answered. "Honestly, it was their time to go anyways. They would've died off in a few years one way or another."

"Believe it or not, your Majesty, old age one day befalls us all."

The four jumped and turned to notice Gaius entering the conversation. Gaius smirked at their stunned reaction before turning to Morgana.

"You did very well, my Lady. The council will one day see sense. Until then, you must not let them get to you."

"Thank you, Gaius. You're a good friend."

Gaius nodded, then continued.
"Well, I must get back to my studies. Oh, and Merlin and Arthur when you two are available could you please come and speak with me. There is a matter I feel I should discuss with you."

"Sure. Anything we need to be concerned about?" Merlin wondered.

"Nothing too urgent. I just want to clarify a few things."

With that, Gaius walked off to his chambers.

"What's that about?" Arthur murmured.

"I don't know," Merlin replied. "It can't be too important; otherwise he would've asked us to come immediately."