A New Threat

"Rise and shine sire!"

"Merlin," Arthur groaned. "Aren't you supposed to be out on your morning dates with Morgana or something?"

"I assume you mean training. And, no. We skipped this morning. We both needed our rest for today."

"What's today?"

"You called a council meeting first thing this morning."

Arthur let his head drop onto the pillows and groaned. Why on earth why he call for a meeting in the morning? That's right; to get it over with.

After practically dragging Arthur out of bed, both the king and the sorcerer ate breakfast and got ready for the meeting. Arthur insisted that Merlin wear this royal blue coat that was made for the Court Sorcerer. Reluctantly and after much argument, he agreed. They both left the room and met Guinevere and Morgana on the way to the council meeting.

"Looks like Arthur made you dress up," Morgana whispered.

"Yeah," Merlin grumbled under his breath.

"Hmm... looks nice. I like it."

"Oh... u-uh thank you."

Merlin's cheeks flushed as he stumbled over his words and looked down. Gwen and Arthur glanced at each other and shook their heads. If Merlin was trying to hide it, it wasn't working.

They reached the council chamber to start another long, tedious meeting. Arthur allowed everyone to arrive and get settled before taking the floor.

"Thank you all for coming. There are just a few routine things that I wish to discuss with you all. First of all, two days from now the the Druid leaders will be arriving for a banquet. This is to be a show of peace between our two peoples. You are all welcome to attend, but it is not required of you. That being said, they will be our guests in Camelot and you will treat them as such. If you cannot respect them and treat them with honor, you will be stripped of your titles and you will need to find work elsewhere."

Whatever argument may have started was quickly shut up by this statement. A few nodded their heads, some looked impressed, and a couple looked offended. Regardless, Arthur was satisfied with the reaction and moved on.

"Right then. Merlin, are there are magical threats or related information that should be brought to our attention?"

"Nothing to report, sire."

"Good. Lancelot, what of the riots?"

"Within the city the riots have diminished to almost none. There have been minor disturbances in the lower town, and there has been some unrest in the outlying villages. However, they are nearly nothing in comparison to the past weeks."

"Gwaine, nothing with the patrols?"

"Nothing that we couldn't handle."

"Great! Does anyone have any other information that should be brought to the council's attention?"

Leon hesitantly stood up.

"Yes, Leon?"

"We have heard reports that King Alined's army is on the move. I was wondering if you had heard from him."

"I haven't received anything. Where are they moving?"

"They're moving west, sire. It is hard to tell where they are going, but it doesn't seem to be toward Camelot."

"Thank you, Leon. I'm sure it's nothing. After all, they are our allies."

Merlin's eyes suddenly widened with realization as he remember King Alined. He was the one who enchanted Arthur to fall in love with Princess Vivian. He intended to start a war between the five kingdoms. He was no friend of Camelot. Merlin looked over and saw Gaius giving him a look. Looks like Gaius was thinking the same thing.

"Merlin," Arthur started, noticing Merlin's discomfort.
"Is there something that you would like to share with the council?"

"Well, it's just that I'm not so sure that Alined is a friend of Camelot."

"And why not?"

"The last time he was here, for the peace meetings of the five kingdoms, he enchanted you to fall for Vivian. He intended to start a war between the kingdoms."

Guinevere cringed at the memory, but held her composure. She was worried for what this could mean.

"What could this mean for Camelot?"

"I don't know, but we have no proof that they presently have any ill will against us," Arthur answered.
"Besides, even if they were after Camelot their army is no match for ours. This meeting is dismissed."

Most of the older council members, save Gaius, filed out of the room. The original knights of the round table stayed put along with Guinevere, Merlin, Morgana, and Gaius.

"Your majesty," Gaius started. "While I agree that Alined's army is no match for Camelot on their own, I fear that they may not be alone."

"Do we have any proof of an army being formed?" Leon asked.

"No," Morgana answered, "but we've received warnings from multiple sources that something is coming. First the dragon, then Iseldir said something, and now this. It all seems too close to be coincidence."

"Well for now we have nothing concrete."
Arthur looked to the knights.
"I want you all to make sure that the knights are well prepared. That means Gwaine and Percival, you are in charge of setting up patrols. Leon, you're overseeing security within the city. Lancelot and Elyan, you two are making sure the the knights are training just in case. Merlin and Morgana, how is your training going?"

"It's going well. We can start preparing for the case of an attack."

"Good. Although nothing is certain, we must be ready. Do not spread panic among the people, but do not let your guard down either. You all can go."

***

Edith looked out the window and smiled to herself, seeing the large army of people arriving. She collected herself, then ran down to meet them at the front of the castle.

"Your Highness!" She shouted as King Alined approached, closely followed by Trickler.
"We are honored to have you here." She curtsied.

"Lady Edith," the King got down from his horse and kissed her hand to greet her.
"Trickler here has told me of your mighty army. He said it is almost certain that Camelot will fall."

"It is, my Lord; especially now with your help. We are amassing an army of men and sorcerers alike. Every creature that has ever hated Camelot will be fighting with us."

"Right... and I assume our deal still stands?"

"When we take Camelot, you will have all the wealth and land you desire."

"Excellent. Now, we have had a long journey. Shall I be heading to my room?"

"Yes, Sam will show you the way. He's been here for about a week."

A boy of about sixteen years old came to show King Alined to his room. Trickler made to follow him, but Edith stopped him grabbing his arm.

"Did you bring what I asked for?" She whispered harshly.

"Yes, my Lady."

He pulled a golden stone out of his pocket. It was tied to a string so it almost seemed like a necklace. Edith smirked as it began to glow in her hand.

"Thank you, Trickler. Your service will be well rewarded."

"I am already rewarded by the chance to please my master." He bowed his head and followed the king.

Edith observed the stone carefully, turning it over in her hand. She reached into her pocket with her other hand and pulled out another stone tied to a string. They looked nearly identical. Edith smirked to herself seeing that she had gotten them both. Then she put the stones back in her pockets and headed toward the castle.