Chapter 33- A maid's promise

Start from the beginning

Soft breezes helped him maintain his cool as he carried boxes of rice, his hands fixed in the handles of the wood boxes. It was pleasant until the wind carried a smell he recognized, first just a hint of it, but as time moved, the smell overwhelmed him. He left the box in the ground and rushed to his prince, because the smell was a mix of smells that, according to him, should not be so connected.

The aide, knew the prince to be surrounded by soldiers, who listened to his next words, it made it hard, with so many people, so many smells, to locate him. He noticed a circle by the square and knew he would find Cedric there. Pushing through soldiers and citizens, he received bad looks for his recklessness, which he disregarded, until the sound of hooves beating on the ground almost deafened him.

He then, as he continued to run to his highness, saw Lord Fridh and Lady Lucreatia's maid coming in a high horse and make a way through the soldiers, reaching close to Cedric. It was then that Lord Fridh's voice was heard, but what he had said was so ridiculous and horrible, that everyone stood silent. But Wolff continued his quest, reaching his trembling prince in time to see the Mountnero servant dismount in a hurry and with complete disregard over her safety.

Soldiers tried to stop her, but a hand from Cedric made them retreat two steps back. In the meantime, while prince Cedric reached for the girl, who by now had kneeled crying, Wolff had reached behind his prince.  With his ears laying down and his tail tucked safely between his legs, the darkness he sensed growing from the prince was an ominous warning.

His highness reached close to the girl, and she latched to his leg, causing gasps on the onlookers.

"Your highness... please... help my lady..." her eyes, fountains of clear water begged to a prince that was not hers.

Cedric shaking and pale, looked at Fridh, who continued mounted, demanding, in silence, an explanation. This while, gently taking care that the girl got up from the dusty ground.

"His highness, the royal prince Francis is being locked up in the Mountnero manor with the ladies." the gasps grew stronger with those words, and Wolff noticed the Sun soldiers preparing their weapons and their horses. Their prince needed them. "Some rogue Templars are causing this incident and they are together with the archbishop Ferabiniche. They are pressuring lady Lucreatia to accept Lord Joshua as a fiancee and send her to the North. Using physical punishment if needed." at such absurdity, the girl sniffed and the air became sombre.

No one could believe such dreadful information... neither his prince.

"That is outrageous!" screamed Cedric, which made everyone a little fearful of him.

"They cannot do that... not without backing..." started Wolff, careful and taking the girl to the side. Away from the raging prince. "Is the Emperor aware?"

"Of course not." replied Fridh, with a serious and calm expression, though Wolff could hear his more erratic heartbeat. "They took advantage of the Duke's absence and this problem with the border, which occupied even the High Priestess. However, lady Jennifer believes the Duke is soon approaching the capital which is why they are growing desperate." Lord Fridh, turned this time to the men who formed in an organized group and nodded at their captain, before turning to the royal prince. "My duty has not finished, your highness, I have to go see his majesty, the glorious sun of our Empire and tell him about this... please help me inform the Mountnero Duke and start a strike on the manor. His Highness Prince Francis puts his honour on you." a bow and Fridh was galloping at speed past them and in direction to the capital.

"It makes no sense..." wondered Wolff with his arms securing a trembling maid. "... who would be so bold to do such thing... And without the Emperor's approval?!" his ears moved with the brisk wind.

"Empress..." not more than a whisper, was the only thing that his prince said. Only heard by him and the maid, who stopped trembling to look at him.

Cedric watched the path from which Fridh was coming and where men were gathering, then he turned to him, hand on his shoulder, eyes burning with intensity. "My friend, you are the quickest in all Empire, please find the Duke and bring him to his manor. I know what I ask of you is a burden, I am sorry for that, but we... I don't think we have time. Take my insignia." He took a ruby medallion with a crescent moon carved, from his heart pocket and lend it to the wolf boy with care. "I will go with the soldiers to face the Templars. Please..."

There was no need for an answer, he was his prince, his friend. He would die for him. And... he liked lady lucreatia... without her, their time at this place was bleaker and less sweet. He would go and find the duke and bring him his highness message, no matter what.

A small touch, laced with desperation, seized his attention back to the lady that stayed by his side.

"Please, my Lord. Take me with you. "her words surprised both, as their memory was still fresh of their first encounter and they could see her trembling hand. She, however, overlooked their glances and proceeded with unnerving confidence in her eyes. "The Duke and his knights would let you pass if you are with me. My great lord would listen to you if I am by your side." her hand pressed the black shirt he wore, as she pleaded with her eyes.

"Miss, I cannot guarantee your safety." he opened his mouth so she could see his large canines. Though she trembled a little, she continued undeterred. With a glance at his prince, he confirmed his approval before talking with her. "Very well... I will try my best to protect you. Lady Lucreatia would find me at the end of the world and beat me to a pulp if something happened to you, miss. Just promise me. That whatever you see, you keep it in your heart, and your heart alone. No one shall know."

"I promise."

With that, he was able to finally do as his prince ordered.

And while he walked the dark path, feeling the tears of miss Fanny on his body, he could have sworn bells rang over his head.

Through all the noise and smells, he just hoped in his soul, that the girl didn't regret her promise.

Were you expecting this point of view?? Uiiiii hope you like it!

Wolff is a favourite so I hope this brings some happiness!

But a heads up! I finished writing act 2 (YAY)!! And it's supposed to end in chapter 46!

Don't worry I am planning Act 3 already (very lit XD)