Chapter 28- A cold welcome

Start from the beginning

She couldn't. And so she just smiled in return. He took advantage of her silent agreement, to continue his order, veiled under a simple request.

"Would it then be possible to meet the ladies to discuss my sister's present? She is quite picky over her gifts, best to discuss it." The lady turned stiff and her smile wained. "Ah since it is such a nice day it would be nice to have this talk over a walk in the garden. I heard the rose garden at the Mountnero house can even rival my sister's, I would like to see it for myself so I could tell her about it. Lord Fridh can help fetch them" he turned his body in a swift movement and his aide crossed to his front, ready to do his duty.

"Yes, of course... Maid please take Lord Fridh to lady Jennifer's room and bring her to his highness at the west garden. " she turned to her right side, her glance only sideways, to keep prince in her view. When the lady got a meek reply from the maid, she turned to the other on the left. "And you, take his highness to the garden." she smiled brightly to him, while the young maid came to his side.

She seemed to be too young and scared to be in such a position of power. To recive guests, a prince, nonetheless, was an honour and duty for the butler or the head maid. But none were on sight. As the lady waited for him to move, he made sure she didn't forget something important.

"My lady, you forgot lady Lucreatia as well. It is very important she comes. I wish to see her." His request, made in an assertive manner, froze the lady in her place.

Her face grew white, and what he only saw in her eyes, was now plastered in her face. Anger that made her go for the stick that glowed in a strange light. At the moment Fridh, sensing danger covered his prince with his body and for a tense second, Francis thought things would escalate, until lady Beatrice gave out a smile that brought an air of neutrality, or so she thought.

It was the opposite.

"Lady Lucreatia is currently unavailable due to her studies. She wishes to concentrate on them today. So unfortunately she may not be able to receive you, your highness." She told them with a warm voice that seemed to cut the tension.

That was a lie, the servants and their terrified glances told him, besides being a flimsy excuse. Yet he couldn't refute the lady without a prove, not when two tall and wide Templars appeared from inside some room, settling behind Lady Beatrice. Without proof, he couldn't do much without causing a big ruckus and that was undesirable at the moment, first, they would have to meet the ladies of the house and only then act in a more proactive manner.

"Of course." he replied to Lady Beatrice, letting it show his teeth. Then as he was sure to have her happy with his answer, turned to his companion. "Lord Fridh, please be sure to bring to me, Lady Jennifer. I dearly miss her." he made sure to roll his words more so there was no debate over his request. If not the two, at least one of the ladies he would see for now.

With that discussed, he was led to the gardens, by a servant and a Templar. Not before glancing at a bowed Lady Beatrice and the back of his aide, who followed the other maid and Templar back to some stairs.

The servant led him to a fragrant garden, whose roses indeed were one of the most beautiful creations he had ever seen. Contrary to his sister, whose prefered colour stuck on the pearl white, these were of many colours, some even rare as much as they were extravagant, yellow, orange, black, white. Prince Francis, however, noticed that the favourite colours were the blues and pinks, the pallet of colours so much prefered by the ladies of the house.

The trip to the deep of the garden was a silent one, the servant, fearful, would never say anything to him with a Templar on their heels. And the man for sure wouldn't let them alone either, so the prince concentrated on his journey since the view, full of roses and small shrubbery was of breathtaking quality. Unfortunately, he couldn't see much of an escape route around their path. Francis would have to find a way to be alone so he could conduct a more thorough search.

As they approached a white gazebo adorned with pink and blue painted flowers, he saw his opportunity. Reaching there he made sure to remark his wish to be alone in the cool shade, only to be interrupted when Lady Jennifer was to arrive. The Templar was hesitant in abiding by the order, but he again pushed his voice high and with a posture, only royalty could command and discharge them. In a quick moment, he was alone again.

When he was sure no one was looking, Francis left the gazebo in silent steps looking over each side to see where it would lead. The problem was the garden was made to be a maze, where the family could be lost in the beauty that was those flowers. He had memorized the path back, so he went the opposite, hoping it would lead to some kind of exit.

As he walked the cut green grass, he heard the noise of steps approaching slowly, too quiet to be from a heavy armoured Templar, he thought it would belong to some of the young servants. Still, he reached for the handle of his sword and turned to see who came his way. Yet what he saw was no maid, but Lady Lucreatia.

Her eyes, which normally shined with a clear and golden glow, now were dark and lifeless. But what shocked him the most was not those eyes, but her figure. Her dress, in a complete sorry state, ripped in arms and legs, showed the several scratches that caused blood to run over her crystalline skin. On her, a bruised cheek was cut and bloodied.

And in her hand, sparkling with the dry sun, was the holy water bottle he had given her, though the blood that fell from her hand soon threaten to cover it.

Francis appeared again!! Always prepared, but will he be prepared for everything?

I hope you like it!!

But be free to tell me what you think!