Chapter 28- A cold welcome

Start from the beginning

But Francis wondered the reason for those Templars...It could have been a request of the High Priestess, as while her brother was away it was her duty to protect the family. But these men seemed off and way too harden. High Priestess loved her nieces, she would have not chosen these men to take care of her beloved nieces.

His instincts tingled more and more, the goddess will overpowering his body and telling him that he was supposed to be here. After several minutes of impasse that his reveal caused at the gates, they opened them after he threaten the men with treason.

The small group passed then the gates that adorned the entrance of the property. The gloom they encountered in the path that led them to the building that housed the greatest family was unbearable. There was no servant in sight, only templars walking around, crushing the grass that grew and the flowers that fell from the lack of care. Their every movement was watched by those whose job was to protect the Temple and its ways. As they reached closer to the bright building, the more hostility they felt from those warriors of the light.

Only prince Francis and Fridh were received at the door, the others escorted to part unknown. Their welcome was performed by a woman wearing a dress that could only be described to belong to a lady of high society, and two maids looking very much shaken and fearful. The way the lady moved and presented herself was clear enough in regards to her intentions. She arboured aspirations higher than her stature permitted. Not a good sign.

"Your highness, it is an honour to finally meet you in person." said the lady as she bowed with gracious movements, followed of course by the maids. "My name is Lady Beatrice of Fellmount, and I am the tutor responsible for ladies education. Currently, I occupy the place of responsibility in the manor while the duke is away." she said with her head high, her stance inviting in the room entrance that was filled with fine luxury, which Francis normally associated with the royal palace. A chandelier high on the ceiling falling to the ground and almost touching the heads of the occupants of the room. To complete, a round tapestry with a feeling of silk and the coat of arms of the family overpowered the room and left the room more welcoming.

Even if luminous to the point of blinding, the air was uninviting to say the less. The lady in front of them had no real pretences of being a tutor to the ladies of the house, but to substitute them. It was clear enough without needing to look at the young maid's faces, which twisted with each word of the lady. He needed to take the ladies out of this place, something was afoot.

Now he was glad that he had decided to hide some of his men out of sight of the Templars. He just had to find a way to take them out of there and ride to Cedric who would protect them. No one would dare to touch him, not even Mother, the Empress.

He watched the lady carefully, noticing something that caught his attention. A semi-hidden stick that was stuck in between the many drapes of the camellia dress. It was intricate and beautiful and glowed as no normal object should. The more he looked at it, the more he knew, that was an object that brought misery and pain. Prince Francis heart got tense and his tingling feeling was now turning into pain all over his body.

In a silent heartbeat, Francis turned his eyes from the glowing stick to Lady Beatrice eyes. She sensed something was wrong with him and choose to go for her fake smile and pretence of affability. For her, the prince was nothing more than a stone in her path, a menace to her plan. But there was more, something else behind those eyes full of disposal, a craziness that worried him.

"Pleasure to meet you, Lady Beatrice." Francis gave a cordial smile, while Fridh gave a small bow in recognition. "I am deeply sorry to impose in such way, without a warning. But time is short in terms of my sister birthday and we need to make sure everything is perfect. I hope that our presence has not caused too much problem." he continued to smile, his perfected smile, challenging the Lady to go against his wishes.