Chapter 21

Arthur walked back and forth, Emrys stood still behind him. Usually when Uther walked back and forth it meant someone was about to get his wrath. Arthur was eighteen and was about to see his first war council. Emrys could have found entertainment in the boy's nervousness had it not been for how easy it would be for things to turn awry despite Arthur's best intentions.

The boy stopped, and turned to Emrys on his heels, poorly disguised despair all over his expression. "Again, all I have to do is..."

"Not worsen things." Emrys repeated with a hint of exasperation. Lancelot chuckled by his side. Arthur was young, but not entirely ignorant. He knew enough to know that if he went to a war so early in his reign things would probably not fare well. Those who doubted his skills or his claim as Uther's son would have all the more reasons to doubt.

The door opened. Emrys turned to see a servant announce the guests. Lot walked into the room. Morgause, his wife, behind him. Emrys tried to give her half a greeting, but she turned her face on him. He understood the reason of her anger. Him standing by Arthur's side was perceived by her as an act of betrayal. He had once tried to explain her Arthur wasn't like Uther. Morgause had refused to listen, saying that everything that came from Uther had to be tainted, and that included the boy.

"Welcome, Your Majesties." Arthur bowed in front of him. His face turned red as if he was only then reminded that they stood in similar positions; it wasn't customary of equals to greet each other like that.

"If you will take a seat," Arthur pointed at the table, taking the seat at the head.

He had already told Emrys about replacing it, quoting that it was too large and that it put too much of a distance between him and whoever sat in the other side. Emrys asked about what kind of shape would ease that issue and Arthur had said that a round table would do the job well. Arthur had even cited the lack of a clear head as something that made the idea even greater in his eyes.

"My servants are at your service as long as you stay, so don't hesitate to let them know of your needs." Arthur murmured. Emrys sat by his left and Lancelot by his right. Lot sat at the other end of the table, Morgause by his left. The young woman lifted an eyebrow when she saw Emrys drag the chair to sit, and a slight blush tinted his cheeks.

"I must admit your invitation surprised me". Lot began to speak. He stared at Arthur up and down. A gesture Uther would have undoubtedly seen as disrespectful. Arthur, however, smiled.

"I received your letter, but I would prefer to settle this here, before we can fight." Arthur responded, instructing a servant to serve wine to Lot and Morgause. "War is not something I'm interested in." Lot rose an uninterested eyebrow.

"Uther is your father, is it not?" Lot questioned, Arthur nodded. "What do you know about him?"

Arthur tilted his head. Emrys could sense the tension on the air, but whether or not that was clear for the current king of Camelot, he didn't know. "He was a king, and he kept Camelot protected and..."

"My wife, do you see her, she was twelve when I had to marry her to prevent Uther from trying to turn my own people against me by using his knights, he intimidated multiple kings and lords, held his resources at high prices and kept a monopoly against anyone who tried a similar system, he raised a group of knights to be at his mercy and used them to intimidate neighboring kingdoms so we could sign unequal treaties that greatly benefited him, we once saw him drag a teenager out of a room after she accused him, correctly if I may add, of killing her father and being responsible for her mother's death, and threatened with invasion against the only one of us who said something to try to defend the poor girl, who at this moment, no one has any idea what has it been of her." Lot was merciless. Arthur's face dawned in surprise and horror with each word spoken by the king who gave no signs of being done. If he had plans of quoting every single heinous thing Uther had ever done, it would be better to instruct the servants to serve them the meal. They'd be there for a long time.