Chapter Forty Three - Arrest

"Hector, this is thoroughly unorthodox," said Professor Andrews, his words taut with nervousness.

"I love the feel of driving these vehicles though. They just don't make anything like them. Can you feel the smoothness of the ride?"

Selene could hear the subtle roar of the engine, feeling it rumbling through her spine as she lay on the floor. Hearing Hector's voice was comforting, and the pain through her chest, the rupture that had occurred, felt soothed and calm.

"Hector, please. Why am I here? I have a million things to do back in London."

"This won't take long. We'll be at Epershand before the sun rises; these vans are surprisingly fast," Hector replied.

Selene could imagine him looking straight ahead, staring at the road, his perfect hands gripping the steering wheel, softly guiding it, feeding it through his palms as the road turned.

"Why are you being so evasive?"

"I just want to get some distance between us and London, before I fully explain myself."

"Because you think I would turn and run otherwise?"

There was a silence in which Selene imagined Hector shrugging. She shifted, pressing herself closer to the partition that separated them.

"Is this about Selene?"

Again there was a silence, and Selene felt the engine revving beneath her. Hector must have nodded because Professor Andrews probed further:

"What about her?"

"It's not going to work. I'm not going to kill her."

"You mean all our efforts have been wasted? Do you know how much I risked for you Hector? All these years, worrying someone would find out what we had done." Professor Andrews' voice lowered, becoming almost a whisper.

"Not wasted. We just have to change tack. We need to go back to the witch. We need her to move the soul into another human. That way I can take their life instead of Selene's."

"Why won't you kill her? She's just another human, Hector. And that was why you brought her into being in the first place! All our carefully laid plans....why are you willing to risk everything for her? If you had just taken her life, as you were supposed to, none of this would have happened. Central Control wouldn't have burnt down; those prisoners would never have escaped; I wouldn't have to fear that the Grand Chamber were going to come after me at any moment. You're jeopardizing my life too, Hector."

"She's not just another human."

"Blood, Hector. Are you romantically attached to her? Do you have feelings toward her?" Professor Andrews' voice quivered with shock.

"It's not that simple."

"It damn well is that simple. You were supposed to fuck that girl and kill her, and then we could have done whatever we wanted. No one could have opposed you then."

"Not 'we'. I could have done whatever I wanted. Anyway, it can still happen, but Selene can't be the one to be sacrificed. We have to find the witch."

"Hector, it took hundreds of years to find a witch capable of that magic. Who's to say Selene would still be alive by the time we found her again? And even if Selene were still alive, her very existence would mean we certainly wouldn't be."

"I have the others, at Epershand. We can use one of them. I'll pay Arthur for them. I gave them to him in the first place, so he shouldn't mind."

"The others?"