Chapter fourteen

"Who's Plato?"

I turn to Roman's friend, Theo, laughing. "Seriously Theo? We're two weeks into Philosophy and you still don't know who Plato is?"

"How are you even in our class? You're in the year below." He wonders.

"Shes a fucking smartass, that's why," Roman says, grabbing my notes from my sleeve covered hands.

I wonder if he noticed the reason the sleeves on the hoodie I'm wearing are so long. Probably not.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

"Yeah, Ro Ro, what are you doing?" Theo echos.

His friends did not let him live that nickname down, to say the least.

Roman ignores Theo, "I'm just reading your notes," he tells me.

"What's all this pink and purple shit?" 

Roman is clearly not a fan of my pastel highlighters.

"If you dont like it, don't read it." I shrug.

"I like it. Can you do it to mine?" Theo asks from beside me.

"What color?" I ask, showing him all the different ones I have.

"Yellow please."

I take the pastel yellow and start highlighting all the titles and subtitles in Theo's notes.

"What about mine?" Roman grumbles from the other side of me.

"You said it was shit." I point out, whilst still highlighting Theo's notes.

I'm not wasting my nice highlighters on someone who thinks they're shit.

"Please?"

Fuck, I can't resist when he's being all cute.

I sigh and turn to him, "What color?"

He smiles at me but stops when I don't smile back.

"What's your favorite color?" he asks.

"Pastel purple," I say, handing the purple highlighter to him.

He looks down at it like I've just handed him a bomb.

"Are you not gonna do it? You did it for Theo."

"You're a big boy Roman, you can highlight your own notes."

His brows furrow, and he drops the highlighter, "What have I done wrong?"

"Nothing. Nothing, I'm sorry. I have things on my mind, I shouldn't have taken it out on you."

I squeeze his shoulder, then stop when I realise how surprisingly muscly it is. Don't think about it. Don't think about it. Don't think about it.

He puts his chin in his hands, ready to listen to what I'm about to say, as though it's the most interesting thing in the world.

"What's on your mind?" He asks

You.

I begin, "I just-"

A bellowing voice, coming from the front of the room, interrupts me.

"You. At the back." He points at me, "Have you got something you'd like to contribute?"

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

The professor looks at me, waiting for my answer, and the entire class turns around to look at me too.