Chapter twelve

What do you wear to a football game?

I throw on jeans and a crop top and call it a day. Or should I wear a skirt? No, that looks like i'm trying too hard. But it'd be cute.

Ugh.

I think 'fuck it' and slip on a blue dainty flowery skirt.

I get to the stands, alone. I look around and see everyone chatting with their friends. I should've brought Alyssa with me. Why didn't I bring Alyssa with me?

I fake go on my phone, pretending loads of people are messaging me, to look busy. No one is actually messaging me. How sad.

The game begins and I nearly sigh in relief.

I end up screeching and shouting for our school team, getting way too passionate and competitive.

It takes me a few minutes to identify which one is Roman but I soon realise when he searches the stands with his eyes.

When he finds me he smiles and then carries on playing.

They win. By a lot.

I start walking towards the parking lot after the game, a huge smile on my face, when someone stops me, a hand on my shoulder.

"Where are you going?" he asks.

"Roman!" I squeal and throw my arms around his neck.

He lifts me up easily and my legs wrap around his waist.

"You were incredible," I mumble into his neck.

"Thank you." He puts me down and grabs my hand, tugging me back to the pitch, "come meet the guys. "

"Your friends?" I ask.

"Your my only friend," he says just as we arrive in front of a group of guys.

I am instantly intimidated as like 10 muscly, tall guys all turn to look at me at the same time.

Silence.

I turn to Ro Ro expecting him to introduce me, but of course, he doesn't, he just watches me.

"Hi, I'm Paige." I hold out my hand and one guy runs up to shake it, but instead he pulls me into a hug.

"Nice to meet you Paige." He says, hugging me me.

I'm shocked for a second but then I wrap my arms around his back but the hug lingers just a few beats too long.

"Stop, Adam." Roman grits out, annoyed.

Adam laughs and lets go of me.

"Ro Ro, it's ok." I say, without thinking.

"Ro Ro?" Adam asks and they all burst out laughing and I laugh too. Ro Ro just stands there, clearly not amused.

"God," Adam says, pretending to wipe a tear from his eye, "I am so calling you Ro Ro from now on."

Oh shit, now I feel bad. I open my mouth to defend him.

But then Roman reminds me he can stand up for himself because he says, "Try. Fucking try. See what happens."

"Ro Ro." Adam whispers and then runs away, screaming like a little girl, when Ro Ro begins to advance towards him.

Adam runs across the entire field, still squealing and Ro Ro chases him.

I double over in laughter, clutching my stomach. You know when you laugh so much it hurts? Yeah, this is now.

As they run around I turn and introduce myself to the other guys. I shake their hands one by one and they tell me their names. There's no way I'm remembering all of their names, sorry guys.

As I'm talking to Theo after discovering he's in my philosophy class, Adam and Roman get back to me, out of breath, and Adam grabs my shoulders and hides behind me, using me as a shield.

I say to Theo, "I love that part too! But the-"

"Protect me." Adam interrupts me with his breathless plea.

I turn around and wrap my arms around Adam like he's a baby.

I look to see Roman watching us with his arms folded, "Ro Ro, leave him alone." I say.

Adam bursts out laughing again, but Ro Ro looks so annoyed.

Ro Ro abruptly turns around and starts walking to his car.

Ok, guess we're done here.

I really need to teach him social etiquette.

"I'll see you around guys. See you in philosophy Theo." I wave and smile whilst backing away to catch up with Ro Ro.

"Come to the next game. Please." Adam says.

"If he lets me." I laugh pointing behind me, at Ro Ro, with my thumb.

"I'll get you tickets," Adam suggests.

"No you fucking won't," Ro Ro grumbles from where he is.

"Bye Adam." I wave and run to catch up with Ro Ro,

"You ok?" I ask, placing a hand on his shoulder.

He nods tightly.

"Is this about Adam teasing you?"

He shakes his head.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

No response.

"Talk to me."

He doesn't respond. Again.

I stop walking.

He stops when he realises I'm not beside him and turns to see where I am.

"We can't be friends," I shake my head.

"Why?" He asks softly.

"It's so difficult being friends with you. Do you not see that?"

He walks up to me, pain in his eyes, "What have I done wrong?"

"Roman-"

He flinches at the sound of his real name from my lips.

"Don't be mad at me. I don't know how to do this," he says.

My heart breaks at his hurt tone.

"Do what?"

"Be nice for you. Be friends with you."

"You have friends."

"I don't."

"What about Adam?"

He make a face.

"You really have no friends?" I ask, disbelieving.

Isn't he, like, the most popular guy in this college?

"I don't have any friends like you."

"Like me?" I ask him to expand.

"Like you." He repeats, offering me no further information.

And I realise that this boy, in all his broken glory, having been shown no kindness throughout his childhood, struggles to be nice because he's never been shown what nice is.

He's never told me but even as a young child, I suspected his father was hitting him. I know for a fact Alyssa wasnt hit, she was the golden child, the way my younger brother Kyle is.

I instantly feel my heart clench when I remember that he tried to explain his past to me that night. I was angry and I didn't let him.

Although I wasn't physically abused, I understand how he feels. Me and him, we're more similar than we thought.

I can show him the kindness now, that he should've seen as a child.

He's managed to push everyone away, but not me. I'll never let him.

"I'll teach you." I reply simply, slipping my hand in his and giving it a squeeze, "I'll teach you how to be nice for me."

He nods and squeezes my hand back. "I'd like that."