Chapter ten

I sit alone in a corner for half the night, and end up drunker than I've ever been before.

After a few hours Roman walks in looking for something.

"Ronammmm! Ronam. The guy." I say, drawing his attention with my slurred words.

He walks over to me and I punch his shoulder, in a friendly way, of course. I wish I could do it for real. Should I? No. Should I? No. But, should I? No. Seriously I shouldn't, but I can. But I should, shouldn't I?

"The guy?" Concern wrinkles his brow.

"Yeah, as in the guy who left me on the side of the road." I giggle at myself and then hiccup.

"I think you've had too much to drink," he says, whilst practically holding me up so I don't collapse.

"Oh so now you care. Interesting."

"Of course I care." He says as though it's the most obvious thing in the world. Well, Ro Ro, have I got some news for you.

"You left me to die a week ago-"

He interrupts, exasperated, "Of course I didn't leave you."

"I saw you drive away."

"I parked up, walked down to get you, because I knew you wouldn't get in the car if I drove up to you because you're fucking stubborn. And then you ran into a fucking bush."

"Yeah sure."

"You heard something behind you, didn't you?"

"Well, yeah but-"

"And then you ran into the bush."

"Even if you did come to get me, which I'm not sure I believe, that still doesn't make it ok."

"No it doesn't, I'm sorry."

"You called me naive-"

"Technically, you asked me if I thought you were-"

"Are you serious?" I splutter, "Are you actually serious?"

He bows his head, admitting I'm right, "Continue."

"You gave me whiplash, like I literally couldn't breathe for a while after you stopped the car so suddenly."

He nods, "I'm sorry."

"Apology not accepted."

He nods again, "That's understandable."

That's understandable?

"Stop being so reasonable. Go back to being psycho Roman." I say with a smile.

He laughs then. Is that the first time I've heard him laugh? It's beautiful.

Wait no it's not. I hate him. I nearly forgot. It's the alcohol doing this to me.

"Did you punch Sam?" I ask randomly.

His smile falls.

"Yeah I did. I'm so sorry, he was saying some things that weren't true and-"

"Yeah, I know. Thank you for defending me."

He looks surprised. I Instantly feel bad. He thought I would be mad at him for defending me? Is that how he perceives me?

I reach up and stroke the worry lines on his face, smoothing them. "Nothing happened with me and Sam," I tell him.

"What?"

"He slept on the sofa and I slept on the bed. We didn't have sex or even kiss, we just went to sleep. Just so you know."

"You can do whatever you want with whoever you want," he kisses my forehead and I shut my eyes in response, "but fuck, that makes me happy. He dosen't deserve you," he whispers.

"What about Stacey?" I mumble, slurring my words

"Who the hell is Stacey?" He asks.

"She told me- wait what did she tell me? I've forgotten," I laugh.

"Oh cheerleader Stacey? I hate her."

"But not as much as you hate me."

"I hate you in a different way."

Ok then.

I sigh, and let my head fall forward, onto his shoulder.

"Would you like me to take you home?" He asks softly, noticing how tired I am.

"Are you gonna leave me on the side of the road?"

"I can call you a taxi, if you don't trust me."

"It's okay, sleeping in the bush wasn't that bad anyway. I'd do it again."

He smiles and lets go of me, to get his car keys from out of his pocket, and I fall to the floor from the loss of him holding me up. It kinda hurts, but I start laughing.

"You're on the floor." He states the obvious, his keys now in his hands.

I nod. "Might sleep down here, it's better than a bush."

"Shut up," he says, scooping me up, and I let my head fall into his chest.

He walks out with me in his arms.

"Do you think you'll ever forgive me?" he asks as he puts me into the passenger seat of his car.

"Maybe." I say, seconds before I slump onto the inside of the door and fall asleep.

-- Roman's POV -

Maybe

Maybe

Maybe

Fuck, did that one word give me way too much hope.

It plays on repeat like a drum, as I tuck her into bed, taking off her shoes and socks, and plug in her nightlight.