Chapter eight

Alyssa sits us all down on the couch, "I thought, since we're all friends now," me and Roman glare at each other, "we should do some friendly things. There's this new restaurant-"

"No." Roman interrupts bluntly.

How fucking rude.

"I'll go with you." I offer.

Alyssa smiles then looks at Roman. "Roman?"

He looks at me, then Alyssa, then back at me and sighs, "Fine."

"Yay. Ok the reservation is booked for 7-"

"I have to go to football practice." Roman announces, standing up and walking out of the door.

"Be back here for 6!" Alyssa shouts, but he makes no move to respond.

"He better be back here for 6," She says to me, once he's left.

I don't think he will be, Roman turns up where he wants to, when he wants to, but I don't say that.

-

A few hours later, I'm downstairs, still in my sweats. Alyssa went out to go shopping to find a dress. I should've gone, I know, but I don't have the energy, I'll just throw something half decent on, I don't even care anymore.

Roman is still at practice when the the lights go off. Everywhere.

Darkness. Everywhere.

I can't see anything.

Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit.

I hear the front door open.

"P, you okay?" he shouts.

"Help." I rasp out. I can't breathe. I can't breathe. I can't breathe.

He runs to me and his hands are instantly on my elbows, holding me up.

Shit. Shit. Shit. Double fucking shit.

"Are you scared of the dark or something?" He asks, his tone isn't mocking but how can I admit to my weakness? He'll make fun of me for the rest of my life.

My breaths are shallow, too shallow.

Then, there's a light.

His phone is placed in my hand with the flashlight on.

"Deep breaths." His hands are running up and down my arms soothingly. "You're ok."

"Sorry." I try to laugh, but tears are rolling down my face.

"You're scared of the dark?" he questions.

"Don't. Please." I beg.

"Paige," he sounds pained, "I would never-"

Alyssa comes running in carrying her phone flashlight, "Are you guys ok? I talked to the guy, the power should be back on any minute now."

I turn around, facing away from her, so she can't see my tear stained cheeks with her flashlight.

Roman pastes on a fake smile, "Yeah."

Alyssa looks taken aback. Roman is smiling. I realise, he's never done that to her before. It's the first one she's seen from him in years, so she doesn't know it's not a real smile.

And then the lights flicker on. Bright. And I realise I'm practically surrounded by Roman, his arms are wrapped around me.

I push away from him and walk upstairs without another word.

-

There's a knock at my door later.

It's Alyssa.

"Are you okay?" she asks, furrowing her brow.

"Yeah, yeah of course." I say with a tone way too happy. Way too fake.

Lets just stay in tonight." she suggests, but I know she wants to go out.

"No, lets go." I insist.

"Paige. You're upset. I don't know why you're upset, but I'm not letting you go out just for me."

I reach out and hug her, "Thank you," I murmur into her hair.

"Lets have a movie night. I'm gonna go get snacks." She says.