When it rains - Amity x reader

Fem! reader x Amity
Steven Universe scene rewrite (or at least heavily influenced idk)
Just assume earthquakes are very dangerous in The Boiling Isles for this plz
______

Thunder is still roaring outside when Y/N decides to make dinner. Hot soup swirls slowly around the pot, guided by her ladle. There are some things I missed about Earth, she muses, looking down absentmindedly at the human food.

But a lot of good things came from my time in The Boiling Isles too, Y/N thinks, witches mainly.

In this case, one specific witch.

She turns to the bathroom where Amity hid from her parents, wanting to meet them when she wasn't sneaking around their house, despite Y/N's insistence they wouldn't mind if she explained why exactly they hadn't just arranged to meet like normal people and that Y/N just couldn't wait to show off her bedroom and it's none of Amity's fault actually.

"They left y'know. You can come out now"

"No. I-I like it in here." Amity's voice is muffled by the door she's still hiding behind.

Something happened is Y/N's immediate response. Amity was never good at hiding things from her. But Y/N never forced people to talk, choosing instead to just go with the flow. Approaching life with a relaxed demeanour even with her generally bubbly personality.

"Okay."

Y/N turns back to her dinner (though she notices I think I've made enough for two), accidentally scraping the bottom of the pan as she continues to stir the liquid around.

Thunder strikes again.

"Wow, it's really coming down." Y/N smiles. She always liked storms.

Amity slams the door open, running into the wall opposite in her desperation to get out of the bathroom. "It's happening!" She cries, obviously distressed.

"What?" Y/N puts a transparent lid on her soup, turning away and towards Amity's quickly approaching figure.

"The earthquakes! What else could be making that horrible-" Thunder strikes. Amity screams. And rapidly launches herself towards Y/N, gripping at her clothes, hiding her face in her back, terrified.

"It's pounding on the isles from the inside. It'll break everything! This is it. This is the end of the world!" Amity whimpers into Y/N's clothes, her eyes screwed shut. She huddles nearer to Y/N in some desperate attempt for safety.

Y/N grins, relieved. "Oh, that's just thunder."

Confused, Amity stands to face Y/N. "What?"

"Yeah, everything is fine. It's just thunder. It happens when it rains"

"Uh-huh." Amity faces the window that shows the downpour outside.

"You don't know about rain?"

"I barely know anything about this planet. I only know that rain isn't deadly because you always talked about it."

The wind whips wildly against the glass. Thrashing raindrops against it. In contrast to the weather, Y/N feels warm, so she remembers our conversations.

Y/N turns back to her simmering soup and puts her free hand on the lid's handle, "it's okay. Here, pretend this soup is the ocean. When the sun warms it up the water evaporates into clouds like the steam." She raises the lid allowing for the fog-like substance to escape from the pot. "And when the clouds get really heavy." She puts the lid back on. "It rains."

Amity stares at the condensation that had gathered on the underside of the lid. "So scalding liquid pours down from the sky?" Needless to say, she's unimpressed. "The way you spoke about it made rain here seem like it was safe!"

"No, no. It's-it's just water. It can't hurt you." Y/N puts down her ladle. Turns off the stove. "Here, why don't I just show you?" And heads towards the door.

The sky is a cacophony of greys. Mixing to allow the clouds to completely envelop the sky. It reflects in the pools of dark blue water that reside in the choppy sea nearby. Harsh wind buffets around her. Slamming each droplet of water around only to eventually let them disappear into the ground. Y/N cheers at this and rushes to the field at the bottom of the stairs to her house.

Amity pauses at the doorframe. "Y/N wait!"

"Come on!" Y/N insists, running playfully around, looking a lot like King whenever he's taken to the playground. It's stupid and childish. But Amity wants to join her. Unfortunately, the thought is not convincing enough, only making Amity blush.

"Uh, uhm." Amity wonders for a second if her girlfriend is crazy.

"Look I'm okay! It's just harmless water! This is just something that happens on earth. Isn't it cool?" Y/N spins in circles, arms spread out, giggling in glee. Not wanting to pressure Amity. Just to show the fun she was having.

Until she slips in some sludge, staggers backwards, and goes down. Bursting into laughter Y/N is undeterred. She leaps back up, absolutely covered in mud.

Amity stares outside again. Hesitantly, her hand touches water. Jerks back. She feels it. Testing the water. Before reaching out a full palm and drenching it in the rain. 

I'm okay. 

I'm in the rain and completely safe.

Amity steps out

"Yeah! You did it!" Y/N whoops from below. "What do you think? Isn't it cool?" And goes back to running about like an idiot.

Rainwater rushing down her face, Amity isn't sure if she's crying or if the droplets are just sliding down the shape of her face. "Cool..." She murmurs. Her words are whisked away by the wind.

Slowly at first, she walks down the stairs. Down to Y/N. Amity isn't sure when, but at some time when descending the steps, she had begun running down. Y/n rushes up to greet her.

And Amity's foot meets mud.

She slips. Her mouth opening in a small surprised 'o'. Then tumbles right into Y/N's arms.

Giggling a little now she knows Amity is safe and not about to faceplant. Y/N slowly stands again but keeps a loose grip on her girlfriend's forearm, sliding her hands down to Amity's. She helps Amity up then drags her to where she had been messing around before.

Y/N glances playfully at Amity before letting go of one hand- my palm feels colder now, Amity notes- and twirls her around.

With the rain soaking both girls to the bone, giving them both nasty colds to wake up to in the morning, they laugh. Smiles bright in the dark of the storm.

Amity hasn't felt this free in years.

_____

A/N

Idk with the parents' thing I just needed a reason for Amity to be hiding and for no adults to be there lol. 

Also, updates might slow down a bit, school has already forgotten students have lives outside of eduction rip