44

•••

Facebook

Miguel de Guzman

6:35 PM

Miguel
Good evening, Bea!
You ready now?
Nandyan na 'yon maya-maya

Yes, I'm waiting outside her door

Miguel
Good luck, Bea!

Thank you for your help!
Seen 6:37 PM

//

I quietly wait nervously near the stairs, and take a deep breath everytime the clock ticks. My hands are clammy from holding on to the railings and I walk around the hallway from time to time while waiting. I did not bring anything else other than myself as my mind was too occupied in going after her.

30 minutes later and she hasn't arrived yet, a number of people already walked past me to their apartment door. I start becoming anxious and my heart has been beating loudly since I left work. My anticipation kept growing and growing as time passed.

I leaned on the railings with arms crossed and eventually heard a familiar voice from downstairs. My eyes grew wide at hearing some lady talk in Filipino, siguro may kausap sa phone. I silently hope that it's finally the one I'm waiting for almost an hour now.

I then hear the sound of keys dangling, followed by short silence and footsteps coming from somebody going up to this floor. I closed my eyes for a bit to calm myself, my breath is getting heavier and I can barely hear any more sound other than my heartbeat.

When I opened my eyes, it caught a shorter woman inserting her keys at a door.

My heart raced, it was her.

I slowly fixed my posture from leaning and walked towards her. My knees weakened with every step, I kept sighing, rubbing my hands, and scratching my head. My mind is processing a lot of thoughts and I cannot think properly. A part of me wants to back out but another half is pushing me to continue.

I swallowed a lump and stopped right behind her, "Jia."

Her keys suddenly fell to the floor and she stayed in her position while facing the half-opened door. Seconds later, she lowers herself to grab her key before turning around to face me.

I stared longingly before opening my mouth again, "G-Good evening, Jia."

"What are you doing here?" She sternly asked while glaring at me, "Who gave you my address?"

"Miguel." I quickly answered and Jia's expression became shocked. "He chatted out of nowhere last night and gave me your address." I explained further without stumbling at my words even though I'm sweating cold.

"G-Go home." Her voice became thick. My heart sank but I shook my head in refusal. Neither of us moved, "I said go home."

I brushed out all negative thoughts and went straight, "I like you, Jia." I lowered my shoulders and let my feelings take over, "I want to make it right this time. I'm really sorry."

"Pinaglalaruan mo lang ako." She turned away and went inside. I followed and prevented her from closing the door on me. I received a hard slap upon entering, "Ano ka ba?! Umalis ka na dito!"