Chapter 6

Georgia walked carefully through the dark park, treading as carefully as she could through the thick sloshy mud. The sky was dull and the breeze made the trees sound like they were talking to her. The carousel was spinning aimlessly. The pool was full of water and sloshing around like it was in the middle of an angry storm.

Georgia felt dazed. She wanted to run away but couldn't. Her feet melted into the ground. She got to the children's play area and saw the sand spiraling up in a twister and a woman with long black hair on the swings.

Georgia ran over but stopped seeing a man appear. He looked angry. A force between them seemed to shift and park gates seemed to pull in closer to them. Thunder and lightning started above Georgia as she saw a small boy and his father appear. It was too late. The woman with the long black hair disappeared. Georgia was left frozen on the spot as the boy and his father knelt in the sand as it swallowed them up.

*

Georgia's alarm blared out that it was 7am and the radio started. She sat up and glanced at her phone, feeling exhausted; she hadn't slept well. She flicked through her social media and found herself on David's profile, seeing a photo of him with a stunning girl in running gear. Georgia felt distraught, they looked so happy together! She put her phone down and wiped away the tears forming in her eyes. "No, I will not let him make me feel like this", she said to herself as she got out of bed. She decided today was as good as any to go for an early morning run, it seemed to work for so many people and hoped the fresh air would also do her some good. She got dressed and wandered downstairs all geared up. 

"Georgia, where are you going?" her mum asked as she was putting breakfast out.

"Oh, I just thought I would go for a run. You know, restless night. I need the fresh air." Georgia was thinking of any excuse just to try clear her head.

Teresa looked over at her and laughed, "okay sweetheart. Don't be too long!"

Georgia nodded and stuck her earphones in. She started daydreaming as she ran down the path, trying to concentrate on the breeze and her heart thumping in her chest. She kept going over and over the dream in her head from the night before. The dark figure in her dream seemed familiar and her heart broke for the boy and his father as they watched the woman disappear. She had never dreamt of anything like that before and it irritated her what might have caused it as it was an odd thing to dream about. She thought maybe Mr Peterson's history lessons were really getting to her. She would have to ask him a bit more about mystical beings when she went to school later.

As she started running to the main road she got distracted as she watched two cars racing down the road in front of her. She mumbled away to herself as her phone started ringing; she went to grab it and cursed as it fell into the road. She stepped out...

"Georgia!" He pulled her with such force she fell on top of him, her eyes widened in shock and she rolled off him onto the pavement. 

She took out her earphones and looked around her, some pedestrians had seen what had happened and were staring. "Oh my god. I... I.." she looked around her confused at what had just happened, "but I was looking. I..." she touched her forehead. Blood.

Blood dripped down from her hairline. "Kian?" He stood up. His eyes were going back and forth from the pavement to her eyes to her head. The blood. "Kian. Oh my god. The car. I didn't see." He knelt down and put his finger on her head and then to his lips. His skin started glistening as the sun came out from behind the clouds.

"Georgia, be more careful." He vanished.

Georgia sat there for what seemed like hours, but minutes later Joanna came around the corner. Georgia recognised her from the incident the day before. She started asking her all sorts of questions – 'was she okay, what was she doing, what happened, was she hurt?' She looked at Georgia's head as Georgia still had not said a word. "Georgia. Listen to my voice. You are okay." Georgia glanced at her eyes and focused on the yellow tint around her pupils. "Georgia you were running. You tripped and fell. You are okay."