11: Clear

Sebastian had clung to Ariels dress, well hidden, as she boarded the Dauntless. Scuttle flew about above them and Flounder was beneath the boat.

Jack had walked on like a scolded dog with his tail between his legs. He claimed there was no living with Elizabeth after this, with her having been so right.

Ariel was mesmerized by the number of people around her. Albeit, she was a little frightened, nervous, but still numb with excitement.

When she boarded, there was a man there, he had white wig and a handsome face. He seemed rigid and strict. Ariel admired him from afar, self conscious of her state.

Ariel had immediately gotten the attention of said man.

"Who may you be?" He'd asked.

Elizabeth came to the rescue, saying, "A friend of mine, she's mute."

"I see." He held out his hand to Ariel and she shyly took it. "I'm Commodore Eric Norrington." Ariel blushed furiously as Eric kissed her hand.

He let her go slowly, watched her carefully. 

Eric had thought Ariel a gorgeous young woman. Even with her tattered clothes, Ariels face was clean and fresh, like she'd come out of the ocean. She seemed sweet, in a way he'd never encountered before. He was used to Elizabeth's harsher tone, her bare rejections. He was also used to the desperate young ladies that called upon him every day. But Ariel wasn't a shameless flirt, he saw it in the way she only allowed him to kiss her hand, but hadn't grabbed to him or smiled like a mad woman. 

Now, Ariel was flattered by Eric. Truly. But she felt much more cautious due to her previous let down, courtesy of Jack. Then a little thought appeared. Did her true loves kiss have to be from Jack, or could it be from someone else? She didn't know, for there was a lot of suspicious small print in the contract she had signed.

Then again, Ariel could only smile at Eric's kind gesture. She could only look into his light blue eyes. But she could never say a single word to him.

However things weren't smooth sailing afterwards. The Governor, Weatherby Swann, opposed the idea of going after Will.

"But we've got to save Will!" Said Elizabeth.

"No," said the Governor. "You're safe now. We will return to Port Royal immediately, not go gallivanting after pirates."

"Then we condemn him to death," argued Elizabeth.

"The boys fate is regrettable. But then so is his decision to engage in piracy."

"To rescue me. To prevent anything from happening to me."

"If I may be so bold as to interject my professional opinion," interjected Jack. "The Pearl was listing after the battle. It's very unlikely she'll be able to make good time. Think about it. The Black Pearl. The last real pirate threat in the Caribbean, mate. How can you pass that up, eh?"

"By remembering that I serve others, not only myself," answered the Commodore.

He went to walk away but Elizabeth said, "commodore, I beg you, please do this. For me. As a wedding gift."