The first link

It was a dark and stormy night. As it had been almost all through the week.

Ah, Zarnen thought with a sigh, what wonderful weather to just sit down and enjoy.

After all, rain was weeping.

Such shame that he had to stop her from crying a flood.

And that would be by completing his side of the deal. About time too.

 This was supposed to be the perfect moment. The rain had stopped quite a bit. Now, lightning tumbled across the sky and heavy wind blew

Why did I ever agree to this?  He questioned himself.

He had to have been more than just plain stupid, he thought.

Regardless, it was a deal, that too one, he made as a member of the darker side. Not completing it would have its consequences.

He dropped down the building, flying, in search of someone, anyone who called for his help. With hope, he thought, someone will.

———

It must have been hours, but he couldn't find anyone. Well, he did find plenty of people with their own fair share of problems, petty, genuine or otherwise. They were humans, after all, and that was a reason enough.

The thing was most of them could get themselves out of those and those who couldn't, would probably get help from their guardian angels.

And his particular disinterest in meeting those was a good reason for him to not step down for help.

It was not at all because of how people thought of him as a monster. Nope, not at all.

Who was he kidding, again? 

His ways of lurking in the shadows and appearing only at night had earned him quite the reputation. 

Oh, not to mention, his appearance too.

Monster, they thought and locked themselves inside their home.

Only if they knew. He was the saviour and something more sinister watched over them while they slept.

Their own kind. The one's among them. And that was one of the biggest lights of being a human. If they could overcome that...

By the time it was midnight, Zarnen landed on a broad wall. It was some alley, old and deserted. No one would visit that place. Not that it would matter, one couldn't see him unless he wanted them to. And he didn't want that. Not at the moment anyway.

As he sat there, a little disappointed (just a tiny bit) that he wasn't successful in his endeavours to finish off his side of the deal, he heard a sound.

The sound of human walking.

Woah, he thought, people walk by here?

The sound pretty much answered him.

Hmm…time for some human watching.

Not in a creepy way.

He reeled back.

Oh, who cares if it's creepy? I am creepy. At least, my face is.

He watched with bored eyes as a silhouette entered the alley. The unavailability of light didn't deter him. 

Had Zarnen been a human, maybe, he wouldn't have been able to see it, but he wasn't one. He was very much from the dark side with fine eyesight which could see even in the dark.

The figure tried walking in light steps.

Not very good at that.

With a large wrapping bag on his back, the figure huffed and puffed, greasy untrimmed hair sticking to a grimy face.