The Vampire of Caiquehill

“Hush, would you, Hayes?”

Hayes' grip on my forearm tightened as he started, his legs trembling,

“But Chia, Isa—”

“Well, it's not my fault that she wanted to take photos and enjoy her time,” I said, a little fear creeping in, “And would you stop doing that? Your nails are too long.”

I went ahead, pushing the large door of the mansion open. A creaky noise filled the air.

Are you going to be that one character from a horror movie, Chia?

The thought made me break out in a cold sweat.

Oh, shut up, already. I am a vampire hunter. I am not afraid of them. Hah!

Yes, I came so far. Sitting cramped up through a journey to the town of Caiquehill isn't the most comfortable thing to do, you see? There was no way I was just going to leave without any information on this.

So what if my other two friends ditched at the last moment. So what if I am not exactly the best out there. I will find this vampire.

I raised my chin, straightening.

Time to go inside.

“Let's go in.”

Without looking back at my scared friend, I charged forward.

The first thing I saw was the chandelier with its dim, almost non-existent light.

The second thing being the scribbles.

There were a lot of them. Everywhere. On a closer look, I found that they were equations. Mathematical equations.

Who wants to put those on their walls and tables?

Regardless, it wasn't scary. My confidence was building as a vampire hunter.

And just as I thought that, my confidence went puffing out.

Why?

There was rustling from the large side window.

Moving closer, we saw a shadow.

In the low lighting, a bat flapped its wings. It then stood up walking to and fro. Then, at once, it settled down, taking the position of a human sleeping. 

Is this how it's supposed to be?

Still thinking, I turned towards Hayes.

“Do you–”

Something whooshed past my head at that moment followed by a thud.

Turning around, I found Hayes lying there.

“Hayes!” 

I rushed to his side, not knowing what happened or what to do. 

This was a bad idea, this was a very bad–

“Ugh, not another one. Why do you all have to show up? And how the heck did you get in? I don't let people in.”

A voice rang through the silence, sounding strangled.

It was then followed by a series of coughing.

The voice was rough, sounding like gravel to my ears. That would be how one would sound if they had not talked in years.

I looked up, horrified, as the ominous shadow loomed over me.

You are such an idiot for ever doing that. This vampire is going to suck all your blood and then you will di–

“Could you calm down? Yes, I am a male vampire. Von is my name. No, why would you think I want to drink your blood? That's just nasty and bleh. Have you tasted it yourself? Makes me gag."

“Okay that was rude.”

He stared at me, deadpanned.

“You don't look very professional or organized, do you,” moving away from me, he continued, “Amateur.”

“Hey!”

“State your purpose, mortal. Or go away.”

“My name is Chia.”

It came forward. In the glow of the dim candlelight, I found a face paler than any I had ever seen. Dark blood-red eyes stared at me.

Despite his dead appearance, it was clear that had he been a human, he probably would have been as old as me if not younger.

I watched as a bony finger with an untrimmed nail was pointed at me.

“That's not what I asked, mortal. What do you want? You're not getting much from me by the way. I'm so tired of you all, always wanting something.”

My voice shook as I answered, awestruck.

“I just have some questions.”

He groaned in distaste.

“Do you sparkle in the sunlight?”

The look he gave me was full of derision.

“No. Probably not. I don't like the sun. Who would, dude? It's too bright! Do you see how itchy and bad summer is? Not to mention all those people crowding at beaches.”

He shuddered.

Bringing out my notebook to jot his words, I continued.

“Okay…do you like garlic?”

I asked him questions after questions and his responses were strange. All this about him made me think what if he wasn't a vampire. This didn't seem real to me.

“Are you sure you're real?”

He gave a huff, offended by my notion.

“Of course, I am real, you mortal.”

“What is up with those whole Math scribbles?”

“I like Maths.”

He narrowed his eyes, challenging me to say anything wrong about it.

“Why did you let yourself be sighted?”

“I didn't. It's not my fault you all trust the politicians so blindly.”

It was silent for a while as I stared.

There was something lost about him.

Why would he be going places where he won't even find his kind? 

Locked in an old abandoned mansion wasn't the ideal way of living.

“What do you plan on doing?”

“None of your business. And it's time you go back or this could get bloody soon.”

Despite his warnings, it was pretty late when I got myself and Hayes out of there.

The last question I had asked had left me wondering.

“Oh, and don't you think I will out you?"

“I don't care. I'm not scared of you.”

And he really didn't care if he was caught. What was the worst that could happen? 

He was alone and he had seen things in his living. He didn't care anymore.

I decided then and there that I would meet him again. Whenever it be.

I didn't know, but the feeling of being watched was with me even as I dragged my friends away.

And that little bit of hope, he was practically drowning in it.