After ordering everyone to leave except Caspara, I took her out, gently holding her by the arms. She appeared more disturbed than before, refusing to look at me. It wasn't until I'd mentioned the possibility of a doppelganger that she'd suddenly become so anxious.

"Is someone troubling you, Caspara?" I asked her, at which she timidly shook her head. I sighed.

"Casparhea," I said again, using the softer version of her name I'd given her when I'd brought her to the palace. "I am a king, and it's my duty to ensure the safety of my concubines." I lowered my face to her. "It was a murder attempt on me, and your identity was used. There's obviously someone who wants you dead, before killing me."

The torn pillow in my room with a knife blade-like tearing pattern was proof someone wanted me dead. It wasn't anything new. When you were a King, most people wanted you dead.

In any case, Caspara would've wrapped her hands around my neck or something, typical of her ways when I acknowledged her. But this time, she didn't. She stood frozen at her spot.

"My Lord," she gulped, glancing behind me in the room where the guards were resting, "Was there... snake poison in their drink?" She asked hesitantly.

"A modification of it," I nodded, "If it was wholly snake poison, they would've died. I'm assuming it was diluted with something else."

"Diluted with blood," she spoke. "They were prominent back in the Persian courts and the kingdoms of the far East, my Lord. The poison damsels," she let out a dishevelled sigh, "beautiful assassins used to kill important members of the court."

My mother and Olympias had ample knowledge about these women assassins, as these are the women who were sent to kill infants and small children who were in line to succeed to the throne. Or even pregnant women in some cases who'll give birth to the future heirs.

And one had entered my palace, who was probably Caspara's look alike.

I hummed along, getting into the situation. "Your movements and activities will be overseen now, Caspara. That's one of the things I'll need to do to make out a look-alike's presence." I bit my lip and turned sideways, finding no message of Althea's arrival. "I hope you'll cooperate. It's for your safety too."

"Y- Yes my Lord," she nodded.

Caspara may get jealous of other women at times, maybe do a thing or two to irk them. But I knew one thing about her. She would never do something that would put me in harm's way.

We parted ways as I strolled in the hallway, reaching the end to gaze down at the many carriages that were arriving from Jakov's home. There were still a lot of guests who would stay for some days before leaving. The Sun was high in the sky, clear blue skies gracing the pleasant weather.

I gripped the slab, a heaviness settling in my heart.

Althea.

Even if she was close to me, in this brief moment, it felt like she was a faraway dream. A dream that may never come true.

* * *

Caspara walked very slowly along the wall of the hallways, dazed, lost in her thoughts. Her heart was pounding madly that she could barely get out a word in front of her king. She stopped at the large semi-circular window, gazing down at the horde of guests spread in the gardens.

She was here.

Cold sweat broke down her forehead as she wiped her face, breathing through short gasps. Any other time, she would've been thinking about how to impress His Honour, how to outshine the other concubines, or how to be the most obedient when an elderly woman arrived in the palace. Or how to trick that Althea away from His Honour.