Broken Toys (Part 6) | "It's happening."

Start from the beginning

James: I wanted to show you both something.

He took out a photo, the same photo he had taken out of his bag yesterday and he showed it to us.

James: This is… was… my boyfriend, Charlie. We joined the Whisperers. Together. But… it changed him. In a way that couldn’t be undone. It changed both of us.

He put the photo back in his pocket.

Y/n: You started to talk about this yesterday.

Clementine: What do you mean?

James: The Whisperers were my… family… from a young age. In that time, I witnessed a lot of death and suffering. Eventually, I became the cause of it. Weakness was considered a poison. And I believed in that. Fiercely. So much so, that when another boy expressed sympathy for our enemy before an attack… I slit his throat. I didn’t talk to him. Didn’t consider who he was. What he felt. Honestly, I don’t even remember his name. All I knew was someone like him would only slow us down. That was enough of a reason for me.

Clementine: That’s… that’s kind of hard to believe. That doesn’t sound anything like you.

Y/n: Yeah, you seem so… calm.

James: Not anymore. But it was. And I had no doubt in my mind that I was right. After he died, I kept hearing his words in my head: ‘Those people are like us, just on a different path’. I stopped killing after that. I changed. But no one else did. When AJ told me he killed someone, it reminded me of them. Of myself. He said it was wrong… But it sounded like he was just repeating what he’d been told. I just… I’m afraid if AJ kills again, he won’t be able to go back. He won’t be the same boy he was. I’ve seen it happen too many times.

Clementine: I’m not going to let AJ become a killer. I don’t want him to change. Not like that.

James: I hope you can keep that promise.

After that, we heard the groans of walkers coming from the distance, they were heading towards the boat.

James: They’re close. Soon there will be enough of them to provide us cover. I’ll lead you through the herd until you reach the boat. That’s as far as I go. After that, it’s up to you.

He put on his mask.

Y/n: Thank you.

James: Take care of AJ. Both of you.

He walked back into the herd and I grabbed Clem’s hand, dragging her back to the group.

Clementine: Okay. He’s ready to go. The walkers are getting close.

Y/n: Ruby, you’re in charge of the horses. Willy and Tenn, you take care of the supplies.

Violet: I’ve got the bomb.

Willy: Find the boiler. There’ll be a door on the bottom with ash and stuff. Put it in there.

Clementine: See you all on the other side.

AJ: I’ll cut it open.

Everyone walked away, except me and Tenn, and he slowly walked over to me.

Tenn: Violet told me… about Minnie.

I swallowed and nodded.

Tenn: That Sophie died, and Minnie is one of them now. Just… if you see her out there, tell her… tell her I forgive her. Please. I’d tell her myself, but… I just want her to be okay.

Y/n: If I see her, I will, Tenn. But listen to me…

I crouched down to be on eye-level with him, taking a deep breath.

Y/n: She isn’t how she used to be, okay, Tenn?

He nodded sadly.

Y/n: Just know, no matter what happens, I love you. Alright?

Tenn: Yeah. I love you, too, Y/n/n.

I brought him into a hug and gave him a small smile. We both let go and went our separate ways. I found Clementine standing, looking at the boat, and I walked up to her, hugging her from behind.

Y/n: It’s happening.

Clementine: Yeah… it is.

Y/n: If something happens in there, Clem. If something happens to you… I don’t know what I’ll do. So, please… just, please, stay safe.

She turned around, holding both my hands.

Clementine: I will be fine. You will be fine. Everyone will be fine. We’re going to get everyone out of there and then the boat is going to be blown to pieces along with Lilly and all the raiders. Then… we’ll go back to the school, living out the rest of our lives. Together. Okay?

I nodded and I kissed her, snaking my arms around her waist while she put her hands on my neck. As we were doing this, we heard a chuckle and it made us break apart.

AJ: What are you doing?

Clem turned the other way, her face going red as she tried not to look him in the eyes. I chuckled to myself as I watched this.

Clementine: Go… look in another direction.

The boy laughed again and did as he was told.

Clementine: We good?

Y/n: So good.

Clementine: Right, well, let’s get our friends back.

Y/n: All of them.

Clementine: All of them.

AJ: It’s ready.

Me, Clem, Violet and AJ stood around the gutted walker, grimacing slightly.

Clementine: So, I know this is going to sound gross, but…

Violet: Covering your smell. Smart.

Y/n: And also extremely gross.

We all crouched down, taking the insides out and rubbing them all over ourselves. I leaned towards Clementine, putting two lines of the gunk on her cheeks. She gave me a smile and laughed.

Clementine: Need me to get your back?

Y/n: Yeah. I have short arms.

Clementine did as she said she would, covering my back as all the guts soaked through my clothes.

AJ: We gonna do it?

Clementine: We’re doing it?

We all snuck forward towards the crowd.

Clementine: Okay. Follow my lead.

We all watched as she joined the herd, dodging between them as the Delta shot at them all. I went next, following her lead. I grabbed walker after walker as we made our way towards the pier, each one I grabbed, being shot down in the spotlight. I heard some whining behind me and the hay near them got set alight.

???: Damn it, the horses!

???: Hey, get over there and see what’s going on!

Lilly: Get rid of these fucking walkers!

A/n:
So I've been thinking that after I finish this book, I might make another clementine book but it's from the first game and it goes all the way through the series. It would obviously be a slow burn, but would you all want to see that? :)