Suffer The Children (Part 4) | "You're not my type."

I caught up with Violet and Louis, seeing them walking back in stony silence, but that changed as soon as I reached them.

Louis: What did you give them?

Y/n: Nothing.

Louis: You gave them something. What was it?

I turned to look at him, stopping us on the path, making Violet sigh quietly.

Y/n: I would tell you, but you wouldn’t approve.

Louis: And since when do you care about what I approve of?

Y/n: You’re right. I don’t care. It was my lighter.

His eyes got wider at the revelation, looking at me as if I was crazy.

Louis: AJ is a damn murderer and now you’ve given him a fucking lighter. What? You want him to be a pyromaniac, too?

Y/n: You forget that we live in a school for troubled youth. Half of the people who live under that roof are pyromaniacs. So stop being two-faced for one damn minute.

Violet: Guys, can we wait until we’re inside the school gates for this? It’s gonna be night soon and I’d rather not walk into some walkers.

Louis put up her hand to stop her talking, ignoring her.

Louis: I’m a hypocrite? Says the person who strung along Marlon for years, helping him to build up our fucking school and then letting him get shot by AJ!

Y/n: Okay, seriously, Louis!? What the fuck did you want me to do!? Jump in front of him, be dead in his place!?

Louis: Maybe I do.

There was silence and I looked at Louis as he came to the realisation of what he said. Violet stood at the side, her eyes wide in shock, before glaring at the boy. But before anyone could say anything, a gunshot was heard in the distance, birds flying out of the trees, showing us exactly where it was.

Louis: Fuck… It was probably AJ firing that damn gun, again.

Violet: You’ve said enough, Louis, just shut the fuck up.

He agreed, shutting his mouth and following me and Violet as we came to a bush to hide behind, seeing that Clementine was on the ground, a boot on her neck and AJ was being held by the man from the train station.

Louis: Is that the man? From the station?

I nodded, not looking him in the eye. We continued to watch as they seemed to have a conversation that we couldn’t hear. Then the person who held Clementine down, flipped her over, making her look up at the person’s face. We all saw as her eyes widened in recognition and with the help of the stranger, got helped up.

Violet: Does she know them?

Louis: She knew the fucking raiders!? She was fucking lying!?

Y/n: Stop skipping to conclusions, we don’t know that yet.

We kept watching as they continued to have a somewhat friendly conversation before Clementine began to get agitated at the lady.

Y/n: We have to help them.

Louis: Are you crazy!? We don’t know if they’re working together.

Violet: After what you said a minute ago, you don’t get a say.

I gave Vi an appreciative smile, which she returned, and we both made our way further forward, Louis reluctantly following behind. I caught Clementine’s eyes as we did, seeing her smile slightly while she spoke. Then the lady said something, making the girl yet out to us.

Clementine: Shoot!

Violet did as she was told, hitting the lady in the shoulder, making her fall to the ground and the man let go of AJ. The man turned back, aiming at us before we could run, sending a shot at us. It hit me in the shoulder, making me groan in pain, but we kept running as I saw Clementine and AJ heading in the other direction. I tried to go after them, but Violet stopped me.

Y/n: Vi, I have to help them.

Violet: And we have to help you. You won’t make it long with that bullet wound in your shoulder. We need to get you back to the school.

I internally complained, but I knew she was right and we ran back to the school, me silently apologising to Clementine for running away. As soon as we reached the school, the gates open quickly as Louis and Violet supported me through the gates. The shot had seemed to hit me harder than I realised, making me turn pale and my vision blurry.

Louis: Hey, no, no. You’re not sleeping right now.

Y/n: I-I thought you wanted me to d-die.

Louis: I didn’t mean what I said. I’m sorry. I’m so, so sorry.

Y/n: Dumbass…

I was slurring my words as I began to close my eyes, but Ruby, Mitch and Aasim came rushing over, looking concerned.

Ruby: Oh, lord! What happened?

Violet: Fucking raiders. They hit her as we were running, Clementine and AJ got away, luckily.

Nobody seemed to hear the second part, though, as Ruby busied herself to get me inside and laying down so she could treat the wound.

Aasim: Fuck. Does that mean the raiders are coming here?

Violet: Not yet, they still don’t know where we are and they don’t want a war unless necessary. Let’s just focus on helping Y/n get better first.

I got lifted up onto a sofa, my feet put up at the end and I turned my head, trying to get comfortable.

Ruby: No, no. Y/n, don’t get comfortable. You’re not allowed to fall asleep.

Y/n: Aw, meanie.

The red-head chuckled softly, as she took off my shirt to get to the wound.

Ruby: Nice to know you haven’t lost your sense of humor.

Mitch came running over, again with Willy on his tail, holding a med kit and a candle.

Y/n: Didn’t know you were the romantic type, Mitch. But I don't think this is the moment for mood lighting.

Mitch: It’s not for that, dummy. 

Y/n: Good. You’re not my type, no offence.

Ruby took the supplies, opening the kit and pulling out some bandages, disinfectant and a cloth. She placed them on the side, before looking at Aasim.

Ruby: Put some pressure on her wound. Don’t stop until she stops bleeding. Y/n/n, this is gonna hurt.

Y/n: Well, that’s annoying.

Aasim quietly apologised before pressing down on my wound, making me yell out in pain, but it lessened the longer he pressed down. Then I calmed down, taking in deep breaths. I wasn’t going to fall asleep anytime soon.

Aasim: This okay, Ruby?
She looked over and nodded, letting him stop and back away, hands covered in blood.

Ruby: Right, this is going to hurt, too. 

Y/n: It gets more annoying…

I bit my lip as the girl placed a cloth of disinfectant over my wounds, cleaning it out as I tried not to scream. Then she stopped, finishing up by wrapping a bandage around it and ending it with a make-shift sling.

Y/n: Do you think it’ll make for a badass scar?

Louis: The most badass.

Y/n: Can I sleep now?

Ruby: Sure.

Everyone gave me a warm smile, almost as if everything was back to normal and then I was left to close my eyes and fall into a deep sleep full of nightmares.