Suffer The Children (Part 3) | "Maybe."

Me, Vi and Louis headed to Clem and AJ’s room, the bad news that we had hanging over our heads as we walked. The majority voted for them to leave and it was fucking bullshit. But we couldn’t do much about that now, all we could do was carry on and help them be as safe as possible out there. I stepped forward first, knocking on the room door and letting myself and the other two in. We closed the door behind us, and I tried not to meet Clementine's eyes, knowing I wouldn’t be able to cope if I did.

Y/n: We took the vote.

Violet: You have to leave.

AJ’s face dropped, it became a mixture of anger and confusion.

AJ: Don’t we get to vote? I vote that we stay.

Louis: That’s not how it works.

Y/n: Well, it should be.

Louis: You two don’t have to like it.

Violet: Good, ‘cause we don’t.

I finally took a glance at Clementine and found her already staring at me, immediately meeting her eyes. They were full of pain and sadness, but she was also telling me it was okay and that it wasn’t my fault. Then she turned away, looking at Louis.

Clementine: Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Louis: What’ll help me sleep at night is knowing you two are gone.

Y/n: You are such a dickhead, Louis.

Violet: So fucking stupid.

Louis: You two said you’d go along with it, if we voted fairly.

Y/n: The whole vote was biased, and you’d know it if you were so buried up your own ass.

Louis: Oh, I’m up my own ass? Hate Marlon all you want, but you can’t tell me AJ isn’t dangerous, too.

AJ’s eyes widened in hurt and a flicker of sadness could be seen on Louis’ face, but it was gone as fast as it had come.

Violet: We’ll wait for you to pack up, then Y/n, Louis and I’ll escort you out past the safe zone. We’ll make sure you get to the road safely. It’s not a lot, but at least you won’t die on the way.

Louis: We could’ve happily dumped you outside the gate.

Y/n: If only we did that to you before this all started.

Clementine: Thanks for making sure that we--

The boy beside her took a deep breath, red in the face with anger.

AJ: No! Don’t thank them! It--it’s their fault we gotta leave! They’re gonna get rid of us!

Louis: Get him under control.

Y/n: Leave them alone. 

Clementine: AJ, breathe.

The boy did as the girl said, breathing in and out deeply, before looking up at me.

AJ: Where’s Tenn? I gotta say goodbye.

Y/n: He was really upset with how the vote ended, he doesn't want to talk to anybody. It’s best to leave him by himself when he’s like this. He’ll let off some steam. Do you want me to tell him anything?

AJ: Can you tell him, thank you, for being my first friend? He was really cool and an amazing artist and he’s a hero, like a firefighter.

I chuckled lightly, nodding my head.