This is when the feeling sinks in

Cindy must've brought an entire library of books to Celeste's house. It seemed like her backpack was never-ending, she could just keep pulling more and more books out of that small black sack of fabric. Who knew chemistry was so important?

"Did you take out every chemistry book in the entire library?" Celeste mocked from across the coffee table. The pair sat in Celeste's basement, it had carpeted floors and wood-panelled walls, and usually smelled musty, but Celeste had lit some candles to cover it up

Cindy rolled her eyes "no, of course not" Cindy pulled out the final book and put it down on the wooden coffee table "but we never decided on a topic last time because of your little, escapade"

"Escapade?" Celeste snorted quietly to herself, they went swimming, it wasn't like some taboo thing

"So I just brought a ton of different books for us to choose from" Cindy plopped herself down on the carpeted floor, crossing her legs, Celeste was starting to notice she did that a lot, it made Celeste's mind wander to interesting places.

Celeste rested her elbows on the table "uh so what do we do now"

"We need to choose a topic" Cindy reiterated again "then we take what we learn and create a prototype"

Celeste nodded her hand, humming as she drummed her fingers on the table "we should do something cool, completely unique"

"We should do something that will get us an A" Cindy countered

Celeste shook her head "we gotta have fun with this Cindy otherwise I will blow my brains out by the time February is over"

"Maybe then I'll get assigned a better partner" Cindy shot back, and Celeste had to stifle a laugh, pushing Cindys buttons was really fun

"Tell me how you really feel Berman" Celeste chuckled, picking through one of the piles of books that rested on the table, they all looked like boring crap to Celeste "Do you have any ideas on what our topic could be?"

"What about Atomic structure?" Cindy suggested, sliding a book across the table to Celeste

Although it had a pretty awesome name, Celeste wouldn't be so easily fooled "The study of atoms, isotopes and ions? Boring" Celeste slid the book back across the table, this time a little more forcefully, causing Cindy to sort of fumble trying to catch it

Cindy drew in a breath "Okay well, then how about electrochemistry?"

"Isn't that like batteries and shit?" Celeste groaned "Boring"

"Periodic table?"

Celeste shuffled from her side of the table, scooting until she sat right beside Cindy. Cindy straightened her posture as Celeste looked her dead in the eye, their faces centimetres apart. Celeste tried to act as serious as possible "b-o-r-i-n-g" a smile cracked Celestes serious facade as Cindy's face contorted in frustration

"God!" Cindy snapped as Celeste grinned, chuckling at her own silliness "first you derail our studying time and now you won't even take anything seriously! Can you stop being a pain in my ass for like one second and actually help me with this project!" Cindy fumed, failing her hands in anger

Celeste stopped laughing as Cindy scolded her, "Sorry," mumbling, Celeste turned back to the books on the table, moving away from Cindy "I promise I'll be more focused, so uh, the periodic table then?"

Picking up the closet book that looked like it had to do with the elemental chart, Celeste started flipping through it. Sighing, Cindy ran a hand through her hand her hair, she regretted what she had said. Maybe, in some weird way, Celeste's goofy jokes and free-spirited attitude, we're kind of charming. She must've charmed Cindy enough to even make her think something like that.

"I didn't mean that you had to stop completely" looking back up from the book, Celeste met those crystal blue eyes that seemed to sparkle no matter the lighting "I just need you to help me"

"You are really confusing Cindy Berman" Cindy rolled her eyes at Celeste's comment, although a lopsided grin grew on Celeste's face

Grumbling to herself, Cindy glanced through her books "I'm going to ask one more time, what do you think our topic should be?"

The mischievous look on Celeste's face made Cindy's palms sweat, she hated when she got like this around other girls, and it happened even more around Celeste "Can we do the subject where we get to make things explode?"

"Solutions and mixtures? You do realize that every group is going to be doing that" Cindy pointed out

"Well I guess that means we'll have to work ten times harder and be ten times more creative, so we crush everyone else's" Celeste put the book about the periodic table on the coffee table, reaching for one about solutions and mixtures books "You up for a challenge Cid?"

Although she let out a tired sigh, a smile peeled across Cindy's beautiful face "As long as we have a subject, I'm fine with anything"

Celeste clapped her hands together in success "Let's do this thing!" Celeste raised her hand for Cindy to give her a high-five "don't leave me hanging, Berman" Celeste whispered and Cindy begrudgingly slapped her hand

Cindy started putting away all the unnecessary books, which there were a lot of. "You need to read and take notes on these three, then use that knowledge to come up with at least seven prototype ideas"

Celeste blinked slowly for a second, processing the work "got it, boss"

Waiting for a few seconds, Cindy had gotten to work "Do want some snacks?"

"Celeste!"

"I'm joking! I'm joking!" Celeste giggles echoed through the basement, Cindy was growing really fond of that sound

Throughout their entire two-hour study session, neither girl finished all their work, for every few seconds, one of them would glance up at the other, only to look away a second later. Somehow they never caught one another staring. They both ended up taking home more homework than they should have. Maybe this project wasn't going to be so easy after all.

Authors note:

Celeste = most precious person on planet