Chemistry

Ms.Gilligan was a bitch. And a raging one at that.

Old, alone and probably a virgin, she had a stick so far up her ass, that every time she opened her mouth everyone could see it.

And luckily enough for all the seniors, this year she was teaching chemistry. For the past three years, Celeste barely scraped by in chemistry, and now she was going to have the deal with the teacher from hell. How the fuck was she supposed to pass?

Sitting down in her fifth-period chemistry class for the first time, was a new type of horrible feeling. Gary slid into the seat next to her, which made the situation a little better considering she had a friend, but still, Ms. Gilligan would find a way to ruin that.

The only person who didn't actively wish death upon that poor old hag was probably Cindy Berman.

And just like that, she appeared. Cindy Berman must've been the devil herself because every time Celeste nearly thought about her, she fucking showed up. Sauntering into class, she took a seat at the very front, Ms. Gilligan flashing her a smile.

God, first they were in bio together, and now this? Sure, it was fun to make her just a little bit embarrassed in bio, but then they talked in the hallway after school, and now chemistry.

Alice hated Cindy's guts, so Celeste also hated Cindy's guts, but if she kept popping up, it would start to be a pain in the ass.

"Are you good at chemistry?" Celeste whispered to Gary

Gary shook his head "Nope"

"Great" Celeste laughed "we're gonna make a stellar pairing"

Ms. Gilligan cleared her throat "Welcome to chemistry, don't misbehave or I will fail you" she huffed, leaning on the desk for support, that women needed to retire "I will be assigning lab partners"

A collective groan echoed through the classroom, "Silence!" Everyone shut up

Ms. Gilligan turned to the chalkboard writing down names in her awful handwriting. She drew two rows of five boxes, two names in each box, signalling the desks and who would sit there.

Gary got up from beside her as his name appeared in a box "god not Luke again" he mumbled to himself crossing the room to another seat

Celeste held her breath, she needed a good partner, someone who knew what they were doing so she didn't fail chem.

Then, when all the other boxes were filled up, in the box at the very top, meaning to symbolize the first row, she wrote Celeste Slater and beside it Cindy Berman.

Fuck. Grabbing her stuff, she moved everything to the front, sliding in right next to Cindy. "Hi" Cindy greeted, but Celeste didn't answer

Awkwardness emanated from the pair, Ms. Gilligan droned on and on and on with her lesson, Celeste catching the fact that Cindy was taking notes, go figure, she's an honours student, working hard was like the whole point.

"This term, you'll be working on an open-ended project with your partner, which we then all present at the end of the year" a six-month-long project sounded like hell and heaven at the same time "It can be on anything you want, as long as it's chemistry-related. But because I'm giving so much freedom, if you don't deliver, I will fail you" groans echoed through the classroom again and Ms.Gilligan knocked her cane against the board "silence!"

She continued with her lesson, some boring shit about the periodic table that Celeste couldn't give a shit about, although Cindy was furiously taking notes from beside her. Celeste ended up drawing on her arm for most of the class, a pig, a snake, a tree that sorta looked like a mushroom.

By the end of the class, Celeste's forearm was looking pretty stellar. "Okay um so I guess we're partners then" Cindy mumbled, catching Celeste's attention as students poured out of the classroom

"Yeah, that's literally what she said" Celeste pointed out the oblivious, giving Cindy a hard time

Cindy let out a frustrated huff "I know I'm just- you know what, whatever" Cindy started packing her pretty notebooks and cute pens into her backpack "we should start meeting up, so we can work on the project"

"I work at a diner, I don't have that much free time" a lie, but Cindy didn't need to know that Celeste didn't want to hang out with her

"Well, when are you free? We need to get a good mark on this" that slightly intrigued Celeste, she really needed a good chemistry mark "uhhh" Celeste pondered her schedule

"Maybe Thursday's after school? I can see if someone can pick up my shifts" Celeste suggested, she was basically making a deal with the devil, all because of old ass Ms. Gilligan

Cindy nodded "Yeah that's sound perfect" Cindy and Celeste got up to exit the classroom, sort of bumping into each other as they both squeezed through the doorway, stopping in the hallway outside the door

Standing in the hallway, everything felt kind of weird, Celeste hadn't spoken to the girl in years and now, well it was becoming a daily occurrence. Celeste knew Cindy must think badly of her, rumours were like wildfire, and Cindy judged everyone who wasn't a perfect virgin. Celeste would've liked to clear her name right at that moment, to help to clear the air, but she decided against it. She wasn't that desperate for Cindy Berman's approval.

"I like your drawings," Cindy said, pointing at Celeste's arm, breaking the weird silence, when did talking to other human beings become so awkward?

"Thanks" Celeste glanced down at them "uh and I like how you actually take notes and pay attention in class," Celeste presses her lips into a thin line, rocking back and forth on her heels, hands shoved into her jeans pockets "that seems pretty cool too"

Cindy bit her tongue to stop herself from smiling "well I gotta go to math, I'll see you around"

"You have another period?" Celeste questioned

"Yeah"

Celeste smirked "huh, we'll I'm home free" She started backing up, giving a salute to Cindy as she strode away "see you around loser"

Cindy rolled her eyes at the nickname, and before she could call anything back, Celeste had already disappeared down the hallway. Feeling a slight heat creep up to her cheeks, Cindy wiggled her limbs and tried wiping her cheeks to make the blush go away. But It didn't work as well as she hoped. Thursday. She'd have to mark it in her calendar.

Shaking her head, the brunette scoffed at herself, this was stupid. She turned on her heel, off to her next class.

Although a very small part of Cindy, that was very very deep inside of her, couldn't wait until it was Thursday.

Authors Note:

youu know you're on my mindddddd <3