Her laugh in the silence

"What do you think?" Joan pulled out an orange and pink dress from the rack, it had long flare sleeves and a low v-neck cut, it also happened to be very short

Celeste stared at it for a second "Stellar" Celeste gave Joan a quick double thumbs up before turning back to the clothing rack, grazing through every pair of pants imaginable

"I think I'd look hot in it" Joan stood in front of the mirror, pressing the dress up against her body "check the price" Celeste reminded Joan

"Darn" Joan mumbled, returning the dress to the rack "and here I thought I was going to buy myself a nice valentines day present"

Celeste laughed "This is why you need to get yourself a rich boyfriend  and then you won't have to buy yourself dresses, he'll buy it for you"

"Oh yeah" Joan quirked her brow, pulling out a pair of checkered pants "and where do you suggest I find one of those huh?" sighing at the price tag she put the pants back

Celeste trudged around the rack and grabbed Joan by the arm, pulling her through the store "I mean there's a whole selection of rich douchebags right across the river for your choosing"

Celeste and Joan stopped in front of a rack with a sign marked SALE hanging off the front "right, because their all going to be so interested in little old shadysider me who can only afford to buy stuff off the sale rack"

"Oh cmon" Celeste rolled her eyes, starting her search through the rack "no one can tell, the dresses sway the same, the skirts are just as short, only that sometimes they don't have the widest selection"

"That's if your lucky, usually it's just shit that no one wants to wear" sighing, Joan leaned on the rack, her head resting on her arms, staring at Celeste while she shopped "anywho, what's going on with you?"

Joan knew Celeste well, so much so, that occasionally Celeste thought Joan knew her too well. They had been friends for over 14 years, ever since their first day of kindergarten. Celeste had tripped over her shoelace and was getting trampled by children until Joan stopped to help her up. At that moment Celeste had thought Joan was an angel sent from the heavens, now she knew that Joan was just a pain in the ass pot-smoking hippy that she wouldn't trade for the world. But having spent so much time together meant that Joan knew when Celeste was acting weird, daydreaming more often, smiling to herself randomly, and rushing home every Thursday.

"Uh, nothing" Celeste shrugged, pulling a striped t-shirt from the rack, it wasn't her size

Joan narrowed her eyes "Your lying, I know it"

"Whatever you say man" Celeste sighed, turning away from Joan to a different rack

"Oh cmon Celeste!" Joan whined, walking around both racks until she was facing Celeste, the rack in between them "You're supposed to tell me everything, I deserve to know if you're going to get a significant other and leave me!"

Celeste snapped her full attention to Joan "Who the hell ever said I was going to get a girlfriend?"

"Your reputation is ruined, Jackson is harassing you, your dad lost his job, yet here you are, smiley and loving stupid fucking chemistry" Joan crossed her arms "I know you well enough to know the signs, somethings up"

Celeste and Joan glared at one another, the ultimate showdown, waiting for the other to break. Each girl, just as stubborn as the other, held their own, a horrible cover of dancing queen playing  over the store speaker, it was the only thing keeping it from being silent "Fine" Celeste broke

"I knew it!" Joan clapped her hands together in excitement

"stop, it's not a big deal okay, she's straight"