Writing on the Walls

Shutting the door after getting home from school the next day, Celeste felt exhausted. It wasn't like she had done much, given away most of her money before first period, gazed at Cindy all through fourth, and finally finished scrubbing all the paint off her locker.

The TV was on when she got home, she wasn't really used to having someone home before her yet. Celeste lived with her stepfather, her family was very, very complicated, filled with shitty people with even worse addictions, but that wasn't Drew. Celeste had won the jackpot when it came to stepdads, because Drew was the best. Everyone loved him, her friends, her ex boyfriend, even her mother, in some twisted way.

Recently though, Drew lost his job. It wasn't uncommon in Shadyside, businesses were constantly going under, and they're were a lot more unemployed than employed. For now though, it didn't matter to much, Celeste could pick up extra shifts at the diner, Drew had some money to fall back on, they'd have enough until he could find a new gig. It was fine.

"Hey Drew!" Celeste called, walking into the living room, she found him sitting on couch, inthralled in a baseball game "Hey kiddo" he ruffled up her hair as she plopped down beside him on the old ass couch.

"Ahh!" He exclaimed, clapping his hands in success "Home run!" He held up his hand in a high five "cmon"

Celeste chuckled, she was feeling better already , pushing herself up, she high-fived Drew before making her way into the kitchen. The minute she stepped inside, an aroma filled her nose, delicious goodness, homemade banana bread.

"You made banana bread" She grinned, popping her head back into the living room "Yeah!" He pumped his fist into the air "cut yourself a slice, tell me if it's good" Celeste nodded, dancing through the kitchen like she'd just had the best day of her life "this is my first time making it, so don't judge me if it's horrible!" He called from the other room, Celeste laughed to herself as she took a bite of her slice, it was perfect.

Sauntering back into the living room, Celeste gave him the double thumbs up "12/10 very good"

"I try," he took a small bow "I try"

Celeste smiled as she walked out of the room, only to walk back into a few seconds later "oh, uh I have the graveyard shift at the diner tonight so, don't wait up" she watched his face turn somber, jobs were a sensitive topic, but she had to tell him where she was going.

Not waiting around for Drew's reply, Celeste bounded up the stairs towards her bedroom. Reaching the last door on the hallway, Celeste pushed open her door. Dropping her bag on the ground, she slammed her door shut, and flopped down on the bed.

Celeste had spent her entire life culativing her room to perfection. It was quite a small room, just like all the other rooms in the house. It had a wide window facing her neighbour's yard, and old work hardwood floors. The thing Celeste really adored about her room though, were her walls. After begging Drew to let her do it, he finally caved, so instead of plain white walls, words filled every corner of the room.

Poems, quotes, thoughts, anything Celeste came up with or liked, she wrote on the walls, she much so, that now Drew didn't even come in her room, made him dizzy or something. It had taken years for her to fill the entire thing, it was her life's work. Everything Celeste owned was in that room, plants and an ashtray sat on the window sill, polaroids hung from above her desk, and her clothes sat in a neat set of chester drawers. That was all the furniture Celeste needed.

She hung band posters above her bed, and her ceiling was just white, and, you know, maybe it did make you feel kind of dizzy.

Celeste would've loved to just fall asleep right there and then, but she had to get ready for work.