𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞

'Hey, grandma, look at this!' a young Nike walked inside a humble living room with a blue flame in her index finger. 'It's not as strong as the two-finger technique, but it's still good!'

'It is, Nike,' Azula who was sitting on the brown sofa spoke with a small smile. 'Now, you just need to master lightning generation and you will be better than a prodigy! And you will be so strong, Nike, and so powerful!'

The young firebender's eyes shone when she heard those words.

'I'm going to make some tea,' she said and walked to the small kitchen of the house in Ba Sing Se.

She poured some water into the teapot and put it on the stove for the water to boil. While the water boiled, she walked to the small cupboard above the counter and took from there a small metal box with tea leaves inside.

Suddenly, she heard someone knocking at the door. Nike looked at her grandmother who got up and walked to the door. She opened it and saw a tall man with light eyes and tanned skin. Azula immediately identified him as someone from the Water Tribe.

'Who are you?' the hostile firebender asked.

Azula was old, skinny and her skin was wrinkled, but she was still able to defend herself and her precious granddaughter from a stranger. She wasn't afraid of the tall man standing before her.

'Noatak,' the man replied.

The lady's amber eyes widen slightly as she recognized the man in front of her. That was Nike's father. That was the man who had abandoned her daughter Rina when a healer revealed their baby would be a firebender and not a waterbender. The Fire Nation native did her best not to burn him alive as she waited for him to say what he wanted.

'I was looking for my daughter,' Noatak spoke with a strong and somewhat demanding voice.

'Her name is Nike and she is my granddaughter. I was the one who raised her during these long fifteen years,' Azula informed with a serious expression. 'What do you want from her?'

The Fire Nation princess was still intimidating. But Noatak knew his way with words and he had a silver tongue. He knew how to convince Azula to let him see his daughter. That was all he needed. He just needed to see Nike and convince her to go with him.

'Is everything alright, grandma?' Nike walked into the living room and saw Azula talking to the man at the door.

'Nike?' Noatak spoke with a sparkle in his blue eyes. 'I... I am your father.'

Nike's eyes got filled with confusion and she looked at Azula trying to get some kind of explanation.

'This is Noatak. The man that abandoned your mother,' the lady said.

'So, you're that waterbender.'

That was when Noatak realized how alike Azula and Nike were. Azula's genes were definitely the strongest. The younger female looked just like her grandmother.

'I know I haven't been the best father...'

'You haven't even been a father,' Azula interrupted making Noatak look at her with some worry on his face.

'But I want to change that,' he said looking at Nike again. 'I want to redeem myself.'

The man's words seemed genuine and that was true worry and regret in his eyes. Unfortunately, that wasn't enough to convince Azula.

'Nike, go to your room for a moment, please,' the firebender said. 'I need to talk to your father.'

The girl did as she was told and went to her room leaving the two adults alone.