Chapter 19

Thorin pulled everyone to the wall wearing weapons and armor just in time for Bard to approach. But unlike the movie he was not alone. Thranduil came with him. I quickly ducked down, hiding behind the wall.

"Thorin! I wish to speak with you!" Bard said. "In a civil manner."

Thorin looked to me before nodding to Bard, going down to a hole in the wall. I didn't feel like I could follow without being seen so I stayed put.

"Make sure he knows what will happen if he doesn't return what is mine! Including the gems of starlight!" Thranduil called out.

Hearing Thranduil's voice, especially so angry, made my chest tighten. I wanted to see him I wanted to be with him. The urge was horribly strong. I couldn't resist peeking over the wall a bit, my heart thumping in my chest as I looked down at him. His eyes were locked on the top of wall, eyeing the dwarves and smirking at Tauriel. And most definitely looking for me.

Thranduil's gaze fell back to Bard.

"He won't accept." Bard said.

Thranduil's gaze hardened as Thorin reached the top of the wall. "I want my soulmate. And I will get her back, one way or another! You have till tomorrow to give her to me or we will have war."

I stood back up as they turned away. Watching longingly towards Thranduil. But out of the corner of my eye I noticed Bilbo watching, hard in thought before stepping away.

"Guard the wall today." Thorin said, stepping away. "Everyone else, look for the stone then we prepare for battle!"

I closed my eyes as I let out a deep regretful sigh. Could I have changed this? Was there away to avoid this situation altogether? Maybe if I had stayed in Rivendell and spoke with Galadriel and the others I could have prepared them for this war. But there was no telling now. Now it was too late. So I sat there, guarding the wall. Fili and Kili joined me, giving me a moment I needed with them.

"I need to talk to you both about something." I said.

They both looked at me with concern.

"I need you guys to promise me you won't get split up. There will be a battle. I can't stop it. And I genuinely believe that as long as you two stick together...you will survive. And keep Tauriel close. She nearly dies for you." I said to Kili.

"You mean...we don't survive?" Fili asked.

"No. Because you split up." I said.

That conversation left my heart feeling low. But as the sun was setting Thorin called me away.

"There's not much armor here for your size but we do have this. Put this on." Thorin said. "Bilbo has one too. Mithril. I hope it fits."

I took it, but I didn't put it on. "You can't go to war. I mean you will but...you cannot fight the elves or the those poor fisherman. Orcs are coming. And don't even start to question me. The elves, the fisherman...they will need your help. More dwarves will come but it won't be enough." I said.

Thorin glared at me. "Erebor is mine! This gold is mine."

"Thorin...you said to remind you never to question me again. This is that reminder!"

"They can't have it!" He said before walking away.

I watched Thorin as he left, dumbfounded.  I expected this resistance but I was still shocked. In that moment I knew what I had to do. I rushed towards the wall, that was left unwatched, and waited for Bilbo.

It wasn't long before he came sneaking by. I popped out from the shadows, grabbing him by his collar.

"Give it." I said.

Bilbo let out a sigh. "I have to do this.."

"You don't have to. I will." I said.

"Thranduil won't let you leave."

"And they will try to send you home entirely! But you still come back. Only to admit to Thorin what you did and tries to kill you." I said making sure my tone was serious. "Even if I don't make it back, I've said what I needed to. I've done everything thing I can. At least this way you don't have to betray him."

Bilbo nodded, handing me the Arkenstone. "You've been a wonderful friend. If you ever find yourself in Hobbiton, don't hesitated visit."