Suffer The Children (Part 1) | "A match made in heaven."

Start from the beginning

Louis: Oh, just let them go back to the dorms!? What happens the next time one of us does something this kid doesn’t like? Should we expect a bullet, too?

Y/n: Just shut the fuck up, Louis.

Violet: That’s not what happened.

Louis: It’s exactly what happened! It was over, ‘til little Mr. Trigger-Happy decided otherwise!

Clementine: Fuck you, Louis! He’s a little kid, so shut your fucking mouth!

His eyes widened at her response, mouth creased into a frown.

Y/n: We get it, Louis. Just fucking back off.

Louis: Back off? Seriously!?

Clem started to pull AJ back again.

Clementine: Let’s go.

AJ: Clem?

~<>~

AJ: Clem?

She jumped out of her own memory, realising where she was again.

AJ: If I’m a murderer, am I gonna die, too?

Clementine: What? No.

AJ: Well, I think murderers are like monsters, and… I know what happens to monsters. Nothing good. Nothing good at all.

Clementine: AJ, you’re not a monster.

AJ: They think I am. I wish they didn’t.

Clementine: We’re going to fix this. You and me. I’m going to help you atone.

AJ: Atone?

Clementine: It means make up for what you did wrong. We’ll make it alright with the others.

~<>~

Ruby was crouching over Marlon’s body, crying as she tried to wrap bandages around the bullet wound.

Ruby: For God’s sake, someone help me with this!

Clementine and AJ walked further away, trying to get into the dorms, but Mitch stopped them. Y/n caught this, jogging over.

Mitch: Saved you from that car wreck, and you fucking murdered him!?

Clementine: Get back, Mitch.

AJ: Get. Back.

Mitch: Or what?

He drew his knife from his inside jacket pocket, his face menacing.

Mitch: You gonna let him kill me, too? Then who’s next? Aasim? Willy?

Y/n got in between them, facing Mitch as she handled her sword, the blade glinting in the lightning.

Y/n: You’re a fucking bitch, Mitch. Oh! Look, it rhymes. A match made in heaven. Now fuck off!

He huffed, looking at her, pointing his dagger at her face, between her eyes.

Mitch: Marlon was right. You’re a fucking traitor, Y/n.

Then he stormed off, back towards Ruby as she took a shaky breath. Clementine grabbed her hand, rubbing her thumb over her’s. 

Clementine: Are you okay?

The girl nodded her head, swallowing.

Y/n: It’s fine. Just get inside and be safe.

~<>~

AJ sat beside her, looking deep in thought as he bit the inside of his cheek.

Clementine: Hey. What is it?

AJ: You’ve killed a lot of people. You murdered your friend Lee, didn’t you?

Her heart jolted at the name, tears threatening to spill at what he had said.

Clementine: What?

AJ: You said he was handcuffed. He wasn’t a threat. So that means you murdered him.

She took a deep breath, unsure if she could keep the emotion inside this time.

Clementine: I killed him because I loved him. I didn’t want him to suffer.

AJ: How? He’d be dead.

Clementine: He would’ve turned. I didn’t want that for him. He deserved better.

There was a pause as she remembered that moment, how she watched the life leave his eyes, as all the pain and stress faded away. She remembered it like it was yesterday.

AJ: I love you, Clem.

Clementine: I love you back.

She wrapped her arms around him, her tears puddling in her eyes. Then there was knock at the door and Tenn walked in.

Tenn: Hey. Y/n and Violet said to come get you for the funeral.

Clementine: Really?

Tenn: We used to have them more. Then we stopped. It seems right, though. I brought something.

He looked to AJ, passing over a firefighter toy to him.

AJ: For me?

Tenn: I figured you’d be afraid, with everyone all upset. But you were brave last night. Like a firefighter.

The boy didn’t seem to want it, he pushed Tenn’s hand away from him. 

AJ: No, firefighters are good. I’m a murderer.

Tenn: No, you’re not. You gotta have a trial first. They decide that stuff in a courtroom. That’s how it works. Er, worked. Before. Back then, there were all kinds of rules. About who was innocent, who was guilty. It was complicated.

Clementine: We have to decide things for ourselves now. We can’t rely on other people to make the rules for us.

Tenn: Who decided you’re a murderer?

AJ: Clem. But she’s right. So’s everyone else.

Tenn: I think you’re okay. You sure you don’t want your firefighter?

The boy shook his head.

AJ: You should keep him, ‘cause you’re good, like him. But maybe we could play with him later? Together?

Tenn smiled, like he couldn’t wait.

Tenn: Sure. After the funeral. They buried them already. Y/n/n’ll start it soon. See you out there.

Then the boy left the room, firefighter in hand. Clementine looked at AJ, giving him a knowing stare.

Clementine: This is gonna be hard. Everyone’s going to be upset. We need to show them we care, okay?

AJ: Okay.

And they both get up and leave the room, heading to the funeral.