Done Running (Part 16) | "There is no kissing to tell of."

Start from the beginning

Violet: Just stop fucking everything up!

Then the blonde walked over to the cabin as I stayed with Brody, seeing her turn around wiping her face before walking towards the river. I hurried to catch up to her.

Y/n: Hey, you know Violet doesn’t mean it, right?

Brody: But she does. She blames me for Sophie and Minnie’s death.

Y/n: I know. I know. Just… She’s hurting. She’s not thinking straight. Just give her some time.

Brody nodded and we both made our way to the fish nets, but as soon as we got there, we knew something was wrong. I rolled up my sleeves and my trousers, treading into the water, picking up one of the nets.

Y/n: Uh… Brody. You didn’t do this, right?

The net had a huge slash through it and Brody looked at it, eyes wide.

Brody: No…

The auburn-haired girl came into the river with me, picking up one of the other nets, finding it slashed, too.

???: Brody! Y/n!

We both looked up to see Violet running towards us, eyes wide when she saw the slashed nets.

Violet: Shit. What happened?

Y/n: We don’t know, but it isn’t good.

Brody: Why were you shouting?

Violet shrugged.

Violet: Felt like it.

Brody rolled her eyes while I chuckled quietly, then I cleared my throat, making my way out of the stream, followed by the other girl.

Y/n: Have you checked inside the fishing cabin?

Violet: Nah. I got bored, but we should probably check now that you’ve found that.

She pointed at the destroyed nets that still sat in our hands. Me and Brody placed them down in the bank, following Violet back towards the cabin.

Brody: What do you mean ‘you got bored’?

Violet: Exactly what I said.

Y/n: Come on, guys. Cool your jets. We need to sort this out and we don’t need anymore more of your arguing.

They both went silent, hanging their heads.

We finally reached the shack and we heard some voices coming from inside.

???: Cigarette. Hand-rolled. Is this a Bible page?

I quickly opened the door, finding Clementine and AJ looking around inside.

Y/n: Clem?

Brody pushed past me, looking at Clementine.

Brody: What the hell happened in here?

Clementine ignored her, showing us a joint.

Clementine: Do any of the kids smoke?

Violet: Nope. Nothing to smoke.

Y/n: If only.

Louis came in from the doorway, seeing that we were here now, too.

Louis: No sign of our thief.

Brody: Thief?

Violet: Oh, shit. We just walked a mile of the river and there were no fish. None.

Y/n: And the traps were slashed, looked like someone wanted to destroy ‘em.

Brody: Someone robbed us?

Louis: Oh, great. And now we’re gonna starve.

Brody looked suddenly panicked, turning around and putting her head in her hands.

Brody: Fuck, that’s… fuck… fuck! It’s just… fuck… it’s okay, it’s… breathe, Brody, c’mon… c’mon, c’mon, c’mon…

Violet: You’re gonna be fine.

I stepped towards her, rubbing her back.

Y/n: Hey, come on. Just breathe. Deep breaths.

Brody continued to panic.

Brody: Fuck, fuck, c’mon, c’mon!

Violet: It’s just a panic attack.

Y/n: Focus on our voices, Brody.

Brody: Fuck, fuck!

Clementine stepped forward, her voice calm.

Clementine: Take a second, breathe in deep and hold it.

Brody: Just shut the fuck up, okay!?

The outburst made us all back away, each one of us jumping slightly.

Clementine: Excuse me!?

Y/n: Brody, just calm down!

The girl ignored me, pacing back and forth before coming to a decision.

Brody: I have to tell Marlon about this.

Y/n: Why, Brody? We don’t know what happened yet.

Louis: Yeah, also, um, we still need food. You know, to live? We definitely don’t have enough here.

Brody: You guys figure it out.

And with that she walked out the cabin and back to the school. Louis turned to us all,  hands in the air.

Louis: So what do we do? Eat rocks?

AJ: You can’t eat rocks.

Louis: I’m aware.

Y/n: But please do.

AJ turned to Clementine, eyes wide with concern.

AJ: Will Marlon kick us out if we don’t find food?

Clementine: Well, let’s not find out.

Louis: Where else could we look?

Clementine: Let me look…

She took out the map Marlon gave her, pointing to one place on the map.

Clementine: The train station. It’s not too far from here.

Violet: I don’t know, that’s pretty far outside our perimeter.

Clementine: There was food when AJ and I passed through. It’s worth a look.

Violet: You sure there was food?

Clementine: Positive. Yeah, some of it was destroyed in the explosion, but there has to be something left. There was so much there.

I sighed.

Y/n: It’s worth the risk, but Marlon shouldn’t hear about it unless completely necessary, alright?

Everyone nodded and we got on our way to the train station.