2 the home 🏠

I waited patiently at the baggage claim. From the distance I saw someone in a police uniform, coming into my direction. It was my dad. He had a big smile on his face. And after all those years he still had his signature mustache. I remembered that I had packed a picture in my backpack of my baby self grabbing onto his mustache.

"Hey, I'm so sorry you had to wait. Traffic in this rainy hole is... well... difficult."

I smiled hearing his voice in person after so much time.

"It was only a few minutes, no need to panic", I said laughing.

"Still, you shouldn't stand so much. Come on. Your room is waiting to be observed. You still like lavender and blue, right? Please say you do."

"Yes dad, I still like lavender and blue", I laughed again.

I really loved how adorable he could be sometimes. He took my suitcases with a relieved laugh while I shouldered my backpack. He guided me to his police car and stuffed my suitcases into the trunk while I got into the passenger seat.

"Did anything change over the years?"

"No. Even the weather stayed the same."

"That's good", I said, "for once I'm grateful for the rainy weather here. I just can't stand the heat. It was almost unbearable over there. I wish I could have moved here sooner."

"You're not the only one kiddo."

There was only a short silence between us while he turned the radio on. That's was something we had in common, listening to music in the car.

"How are they?" he asked, clearly referring to the people I left in Arizona without even needing to say their names.

"Oh, they're fine. Probably eating at a fancy diner right now."

"Was it this bad living with them?" he asked.

I shook my head.

"I wouldn't say bad. It was rather awkward. Sometimes kinda lonely. Okay maybe most times it was lonely. When I had time for myself, which was a lot, I spend them next to my favorite cactus."

He looked at me. There was a strange glint in his eyes when I mentioned the cactus. But there was also confusion in his eyes.

"How come?"

I looked at the highway, nothing but dark forest next to it with a little mist. After a few more minutes, we came past the welcome sign. I sighed. I started explaining how my life had been so far in Phoenix. We arrived at the two story house a few minutes after I began telling my story. Dad wasn't that delighted though about what I had to say. Considering some past events that occured in Phoenix and they weren't few.

"Not bad, huh? Well, you're here now. It won't be so lonely. I hope that you don't mind eating at the diner most of the time though."

I looked at him with squinted eyes.

"Really? You know I could cook?"

He playfully wiped his forehead.

"What a relief. Though I wouldn't complain about eating the steak they offer. Occasionally."

I gave him a 'seriously?' look.

"What? As you can see I'm still as healthy as a horse. By the way before I forget, your appointment, you will still have to wait a few more days. I couldn't get one earlier than after New Year."

"That's okay. I had this for my whole life. What's a few more days", I said jokingly.

Ther was a short moment of awkward silence, until he spoke up again.