Back to Square One

Start from the beginning

"She showed up at Jordan's funeral. She kept calling me by the name she gave me, pretending she actually cared. I kept catching her smiling and could hear her talking to her husband during the ceremony. I was slightly drunk afterwards and she took advantage of it. We got into a fight and I told her never to come near me again because thanks to her I almost got arrested."

"Now I understand." He sympathized. "Would you have actually killed her?" I shook my head because no matter how tempted I was I know I never would have done it. She's not worth the prison sentence or the energy it would have taken. "Okay." He kissed my forehead before heading back inside. I spent the rest of the day laughing and joking with my parents and friends all the while thinking of excuses to get me out of the house if people weren't asleep.

Luckily for me ten o'clock came and everyone else was in their rooms. I don't know whether they were asleep or not but Luke was and he was the only one I cared about. Right now his arms were wrapped tightly around my waist and his head was resting on my stomach. Very, very slowly and cautiously I untangled myself replacing my body with a pillow. He groaned slightly but took the bait as he snuggled further into the pillow. I started to get changed out of my sleeping t-shirt and sweats into some clean sweats and a vest top. I grabbed my jacket slipping my shoes on before leaving my room trying to keep the click of the door as quiet as possible, half way down the stairs I bumped into a groggy looking Michael who was sleepily rubbing his eyes before looking at me in confusion.

"What are you doing up?" I whispered trying not to alert people that we were here because Stephen's job was to stop me doing stuff like this.

"That's not the right question. The question should be where are you going?" He turned it back round on me.

"Who says I'm going anywhere?"

"You've got ready and you're holding your car keys in your hand so stop treating me like an idiot."

"Fine I'm going to meet one of my old friends I used to go racing with but you can't tell anyone." I begged.

"I won't on one condition." I raised an eyebrow implying that he should continue. "You take me with you and you make me understand why you do it." I started to shake my head. "It's your choice Kenzie." I didn't have time to stand and argue with him so I said the first words I could think of.

"Fine get your ass in the car." He didn't question my decision as we walked to my car and got in. He immediately buckled his seatbelt and I could see fear in his eyes. I've got to drive to meet Andy yet so only God knows what he'll be like by the time I get there. I didn't bother with my seatbelt as I drove to my usual meeting place seeing Andy leaning against the hood of his car. I jumped out immediately and Michael followed behind me. "Who's this?" Andy asked staring at Michael.

"I've brought a ride a long." I smirked. "A fairly nervous one so where are we driving."

"Well if we go down to the roundabout straight down in that direction." He pointed in the direction. "Straight round back here to the roundabout in the opposite direction and back here for a few smaller races?"

"Gotcha." I nodded going and jumping in the car. Michael fastened his seatbelt and this time I joined him. I don't exactly want to go flying through the windscreen is this goes wrong. "Are you sure you want to do this?" He nodded his head nervously and I told him a couple of things he might want to know first. "Okay I have a radio link to Andy if anything goes wrong and we need him. If I crash try and stay as still as possible until I can phone for help, so basically don't move unless the cars on fire."

"Have you crashed many times?" He stuttered slightly clutching his seatbelt.

"Never." I spoke honestly. "If you don't want to go through with this just say and you can sit off to the side."

"I'm doing it."

"Okay well I just want to show you something first." I revved my engine and started it up. I took my speed up to 90mph before slamming on the brakes. The car came to an almost instant stop and I heard Michael scream like a girl. "Just showing you the car can stop at speed." I smiled lining my car up with Andy's." His voice crackled through the radio counting down from three and said go. My foot slammed down on the accelerator and I started the course. I was going at slightly over 100mph and my speed was increasing as the roundabout came into view. This was my chance to pull ahead because everybody else always seemed to slow down at roundabouts whereas I kept my speed as high as possible. I pulled ahead onto a straight stretch of road and took the time to look at Michael. "You okay Mikey?" I asked. He was deathly pale and gripping onto his seatbelt so tight I'm surprised it hadn't cut his hand yet.

"Just win the bloody race." He chuckled and I don't know if it he was trying to reassure me or reassure himself but either way he wanted it over with. I reached the next roundabout within five minutes and sped around it but by this point Andy had started catching up. I had no choice but to press even heavier taking my speed even higher up. I reached the end less than three seconds before Andy slamming on the brakes coming to an instant stop. I got out walking round and opening Michaels car door for him and he stepped out walking on visibly shaking legs. I gave him quite a fright.

All three of us sat off to the side of the road and I couldn't keep the smile off my face. "Enjoy that?" Andy asked Mikey patting him on the back and he just looked at him as though he had completely lost his mind. "I'll take that as a no." He chuckled but the smile quickly faded. "So why are you here Kenzie? You haven't driven that fast in over four months so something pushed you over the edge." I shrugged my shoulders not actually sure what had pushed me back to racing but it felt damn good. Then again it made me feel disappointed in myself because driving was my addiction and I thought I had kicked it only to run right back to it.

"I think I'm going to take Mikey here home."

"Okay." I hugged Andy goodbye before getting back in my car.

"I can definitely see why you love it so much." He had definitely got a lot more confident since stepping into the car because like me he had neglected to wear a seatbelt. "I still don't see why you do it though."

"Neither do I." I sighed. "You can't tell anyone though. They all believe I quit months ago and I did but now I'm back to square one and I don't want them knowing that. Promise me Michael." He waited a couple of minutes without saying anything and it made me anxious about what he was going to say.

"I promise I won't Kenzie. No matter what you tell me if you don't want anyone else to know then it stays between us. I can't exactly sell my own sister down the river can I?"

SISTER?!

Oh my god. Michael and McKenzie are siblings. I bet none of you saw that coming. How do you think she'll react? Check out some of my other writings and please vote and comment. I love all of my readers, that means you xxxx