18- A Freeing Friday with Zay

Zay was not in a rush to start our day on Friday and I was grateful to him for the extra rest. He showed up at my door around noon, dressed comfortably not like he was trying to impress me. Having Zay as my friend through the competition had been strange at first but now I couldn't be more thankful. 

"You're really going all out on this just friends thing." I teased as he led me down the hallway. 

"My money's on you and Lucas. There's no way I'm going to compete with that kind of chemistry." I shook my head but I knew the colour in my cheeks had betrayed me. 

"If you have phoned it in maybe I should just send you home now..." 

"You wouldn't dream of it, Princess. You'd miss me too much." He retorted. I rolled my eyes, knowing he was right. "So I have planned an exciting tasting many of..." Zay gestured to a table filled with chicken wings. All different flavours ranging from hot to honey garlic and everything in between. My jaw dropped. 

"How did you know?" I had never been allowed to eat them because my father claimed it was unladylike to gnaw the meat off a bone, like some animal. 

"Know what? That chicken wings are the best food in existence? Because I'm a genius." We sat at the table, taking turns trying each of the flavours, ranking them. There was one type of sauce that was particularly hot that made mascara trail down my cheeks. Zay laughed but I could see the sweat dripping off of his forehead.

After a while we took a break from the wings, sitting across from each other and letting the food digest. 

"So tell me about her." I requested, taking a sip from the glass of water that had just been refilled for me. 

"Her?" 

"The girl that is so irresistible that you would pass up eternity in luxury with me." I pointed out and by the smile on his face at the mere thought of this girl I could tell it was something real. 

"Her name's Vanessa. We met when we were kids and as long as I've been able to have romantic feelings, they've been for her." He began. "She was a cheerleader, beautiful but also kind-hearted. Funny." 

"You told me you entered after she broke your heart, yet you still don't seem to care if we fall in love."

"I think seeing me on tv might finally win her over." He teased. "I think a part of me will always love her, no matter what. I hope one day she will return the feelings and if that day comes I want to be with her." 

"What if that day never comes? Do you think you will regret not giving this your all?" 

"I try to live as honestly as possible. If I stay true to my feelings, I'll have no regrets." Zay was inspiring. He was completely genuine and she wished she could be more like him. Her responsibilities often kept her from being her true self, despite how much she tried. 

After finishing what they could of the wings, Zay took her to the kitchen. 

"Every year my grandmother would make these cookies and they were amazing. She would only give me one so I could learn to be grateful." Zay pulled out a recipe written in neat handwriting. "Now it's our turn."

The pair baked a batch of cookies together and Maya felt more relaxed than she had all week. Zay made her laugh and being around him was comfortable. 

After the cookies were done, Zay walked her back to her room, a plate of fresh-baked cookies in her hand. 

"Thanks for sharing this with me." Maya smiled before lightly kissing Zay's cheek. 

"Goodnight, Milady." 

Maya sat on her bed with a plate full of cookies thinking about what was to come.