𝟖𝟔| "The one the wind blows away from"

Start from the beginning

"I want to break this pact." Hiruzen stated firmly. His eyes aged, skin wrinkled, heart infested with grief. He was no longer the same young man who rose his Village from a history of blood and ashes, but a tired individual plagued with nightmares of his dark mistakes. "I want out. This has gone on for too long. I want the pact to end with me."

"No can do, old geezer." Shigeki grinned sadistically, his gloved hands clasped together as his white cloak rested on his shoulders. "It's your fault for not reviewing the requirements. What a shame."

Tomorrow was a special day. A special night of devastation and downfall. The night where their sworn enemies would perish and their own numbers would rise. The Night of Storms would finally kickstart their long-awaited plans and revolution would commence. A new day and age, an era of change and the insurgence of instability amongst humans.

An era of war.

Humans would turn on their own kind, on their lands, on their kin in the feat of survival and death. Oceans pooled with blood and skies darkened with ash. Shigeki's smile broadened with excitement, with sanguinity. Oh, how he longed for the taste of pure battle. Of worthy opponents. He could taste the blood on his lips, hear the cries of the proclaimed innocent, eyes rich with the sight of human annihilation. A terminal of pesticides who dared to hinder with their affairs.

Humans will pay the price. The price of existence.

Shigeki's attention was stolen by the door, or rather, who was standing behind the door. The Fox entered the room, her presence itself enough to make humans tremble in their own skin and genuflect at her power.

"I have returned." Anomie announced, removing her fox mask as her cold, blue eyes surveyed the room, her lips momentarily louring at the sight of the Hokage. "The Owl has done a decent job at monitoring Kaede's host. In due time, the cursed one will be released and seek refuge within the Leaf."

"Greetings to you too, Anomie." Shigeki smirked lopsidedly, sending her a casual wave. "It was awfully boring keeping an eye on this decomposing human, he keeps blubbering like a fool. Can't we kill him already?"

Anomie tilted her head, as if she truly were contemplating the cons of killing the Hokage earlier than scheduled, before shaking her head. "No. It's not time yet. He still has some uses. Unfortunately."

Shigeki frowned. "What of the Deer? How is he faring?"

"He's making progress. Under the Owl's turf, he'll be ready to be released in a few months or so."

"And the Raven? What about our plans?"

"Everything is settled. The Sorcerer Faction is waiting near the borders of Aragakure's force field, the Raven has direct control of the situation and seized the temple according to plan. The Fate Wheels are locked out of their domain, now we are waiting on the Konohan troops to station their rallies by the port and act as decoys."

Pawns. His forces were pawns. They've made worm's meat of innocent people and now he played ruler; the shadows casted over his shoulders controlling his reign. And he had no choice but to obey if he wanted to protect the thousands under his protection.

Hiruzen stood up, the room painting a canvas of black and white as he trembled under the pressure of the two, powerful presences in the office. His visage cracked, unable to withstand their curious, yet malevolent gazes. His knees collapsed, forehead pressed against the ground. As a man, he had lost his power long before he even had a chance to prove himself as the leader of a village. Pride, dignity, honour, respect, nobility- it was nonexistent in the face of those who were much stronger than him, who knew and sought for what he cannot begin to comprehend.