Chapter Twenty-Three

“Wrong. I just met him. How can I like him yet?” Asked Victoria, giving him a look. Colton looked at her with his eyes blazing with an intense fire.

“So if you meet him more, you’ll get to like him. Is that what you’re hinting at?” He fumed. Victoria’s mouth hung open hearing his absurd question. 

“Stop overthinking, for God’s sake, Colton, “ she said, placing the papers that Davion gave her on the table nearby. “I’m going home. Coming here was a mistake,” she said, walking away. Colton rushed forward and caught her arm, whirling her around to face him. 

“Am I overthinking? Then what was that talk about marrying Pete?” He scoffed angrily. 

“He was just kidding, Colton. Please get a grip over yourself, “ she scolded him.

“No, I won’t,” said Colton, stubbornly. “I want you to be mine, exclusively mine,” he whispered, pulling her closer, flush against his hard torso. Victoria’s eyes flashed with defiance and she struggled to break free.

“Don’t expect something which you can’t promise me back,” said Victoria, pushing at his chest. Colton gave her a smoldering look that could burn her completely. 

“And what if I promise the same thing back?” He asked her, his eyes dropping to her lips. Victoria was too stunned to speak. She was trying hard to figure out what exactly it was that he was asking for. Exclusivity in what? 

“What do you mean?” asked Victoria. Colton lowered his head and grazed his lips against her neck, sending a tremor down her entire length. His hot mouth and tongue trailed a wet trail up to her ear.  Placing a soft kiss there, he whispered hoarsely. 

“I’ll be the only one to kiss you. I’ll be the only one to touch you. I’ll be the only one to see you. I’ll be the only one to make love to you,” he whispered. Goosebumps appeared over her as she realized what he was asking for. For one moment she wanted to give in but then a strange feeling cautioned her. 

“No, I won’t be your property, Colton. What you’re asking for is impossible! I don’t sell my body. It’s for the one who I’ll truly love and marry,” said Victoria, pushing him away. Colton was a little startled. He was too wrapped up in his own world of desire and need that he didn’t expect such a response from her. 

“I didn’t mean it that way.,” he started but Victoria walked out of his apartment angrily. Colton held onto his head with despair. Why did this always happen with him? Whenever he talked to Victoria, she only misunderstood her. He wanted to propose to her and ask her to be his girlfriend but inexperienced as he was, he only ended up offending her! He had to think of a way of making her listen to him before running away. 

As Victoria walked out of Colton’s building she collided with Pete, who was just standing outside with his phone attached to his ear, busy talking to someone. He disconnected the call seeing her, his eyes glittering with excitement. “Hey, Victoria! What a surprise! We’re meeting again. It seems we’re destined for one another, “ laughed Pete. Victoria rolled her eyes at him.

“We didn’t meet. You just happened to stand on my way out,” she pointed out. Pete grinned. 

“Who’s the cause of this foul mood of yours?” he asked, leaning closer. Victoria ducked and walked away. 

“No one, “ she said, walking away towards Sofia’s house. Pete walked with her.

“Are you in a hurry to go somewhere?” he asked. Victoria looked at him suspiciously. 

“No, why do you ask?” she asked curiously. 

“I’m just going to the departmental store there to buy food for my pets. You could come along if you’re free,” he asked with a warm smile, pointing at the huge departmental store at a distance.