5. Musical Theatre Royalty

"Rigel!"

"Rigel!"

I turn around, a smile already on my face. My sister, Spica, is coming down the hallway with her usual posse. She looks anxious- immediately I'm thinking of what might have made her nervous, and how I can make her feel better. It's probably her audition making her nervous. It shouldn't be difficult to reassure that she was amazing, because she was. Besides, I'm sure her friends have told her the same.

"Hey. What's up?" I ask. She pouts up at me.

"Did my audition suck? I feel like my voice cracked twenty times. And I almost forgot, like, half the words! Ughhh, I'm probably going to get an ensemble part-"

"No way," Celestia interrupts. "You were incredible. Besides, you're practically musical theatre royalty at this school."

Spica looks (up) at Celestia, eyes wide with confusion. "What do you mean?"

Celestia rolls her eyes, smirking. "You're related to Rigel. You automatically have a perfect voice. Need I say more?"

I resist the urge to roll my eyes right back at Celestia and focus on my sister. "You were amazing, Spica. You have nothing to worry about."

"But it's my first show! Do you think he'll just put me in ensemble just because I'm in grade ten?"

I shake my head. "No. Mr. McNelson isn't like that. He casts you based on your abilities as a performer."

"So you don't think I'll be put on ensemble? But then what role do you think I'll get? There are only, like, four female roles."

"Mr. McNelson mentioned that some of the male tenor roles might be adapted for girls."

"Imagine getting cast as King George," Pearl says, giggling. I couldn't imagine Pearl getting cast as King George, really, or any role bigger than Peggy Schuyler. She doesn't have a bad voice, but her stage presence isn't too noticeable. She'll probably be put on ensemble, unless Mr. McNelson runs out of seriously talented girls.

"I honestly can't," Celestia declares, flipping her hair and sending me a sly smirk. "How would you cast us, Ri?"

"That's not really relevant, is it? I'm not the casting director."

"Well, I value your opinion."

"I bet you'll get Eliza," Spica tells Celestia. "Your audition was amazing."

That does seem to be the popular opinion. But I personally can't see anyone else as Angelica. Celestia is the best female rapper in our class, and I doubt any of the other girls could muster Angelica's sass and confidence. Including my sister. Which means I have to hope that she lands Eliza, because she doesn't have the voice for Maria Reynolds and while she'd be happy with playing Peggy, she would be elated to be Eliza.