Chapter Thirty Seven

Start from the beginning

"You can enter now," he declares, then a girl steps inside the room.

Cyrus blinks as he looks at the girl. She's dressed in a black cape coat that reaches above her knees and has purple line patterns on it. The Nirvana Order emblem is pinned to her right chest. Her golden-brown hair falls to her shoulders, with elegant waves and curls at the ends. A silver cross hair clip sits just above her right ear.

"Missy?" Cyrus says.

Missy gives him a sheepish smile and a quick bow of her head.

Antoine crosses his arms over his chest and looks at Cyrus with a smirk on his face. "That kid requested to come here, so she'll stay here for a while."

Cyrus offers him a glance before shifting his gaze to Missy.

"Bishop Galbraith, it's a pleasure to see you again," Missy greets him with pinkish cheeks and twinkling mocha eyes.

"Yeah, me too. It's been a long time," Cyrus responds, and Missy's face turns crimson. "Anyways, thank you for your assistance."

Missy's eyes lose their glimmer and her bright smile fades to a gloomy one.

"I'm sorry for what happened," Missy says softly. "B-but I know Raiden and the others are still alive. They will be back soon."

Cyrus gives her a gentle smile and pushes up his glasses. "Yeah, they will."

***

The bustling town of Alhena greets Nihar as soon as he steps out of the carriage. The cobbled street is lined with merchant stalls, and a swarm of people bustles to and fro. He grimaces as he stares at the scene in front of him.

How would I find the Outcast in this crowded place?

After paying the coachman, he proceeds to the street. He observes everyone he sees, attempting to see past their human facades. He continues walking until he reaches another street lined with faded mustard buildings made of stone blocks.

That's when a scream rings out and everyone, including Nihar, stops on their feet. A girl is looking up, her eyes wide with horror. Nihar follows her gaze and hisses a curse. A woman stands on the roof of the mustard house across from them, her blue dress flapping in the breeze.

"Answer my call, Alura," he whispers.

All eyes turn to Nihar when his anklet morphs into a massive black sledgehammer buzzing with bluish-white sparks.

The Outcast releases a spherical light and Nihar slams it with his weapon. He leaps up, his body drawing an arc in the air, and lands on the peaked tiled roof. The people below shriek and scamper away.

The Outcast continues to fire light balls, which Nihar slams into fragments with his hammer. Based on the woman's reflex, she is a Tainted Outcast who has just corrupted two to three souls. Nihar groans, knowing he has to find those unfortunate victims before they turn this town into a demon's lair.

"Alura!" Nihar yells as he slams his weapon into the roof. A loud banging sound reverberates throughout the space.

Lightning bolts erupt from the hammer, slicing through the air like snakes and charging toward the Outcast. The Outcast has no time to flee. The bluish-white lightning pierces every part of her body, and she screams in agony. She then collapses on the roof, dead. A black soul comes out of her body.

Nihar rushes over to her and performs the Cleansing Spell. "Alura, pour thyself with Absideon and destroy the darkness thy blade touches. Purify the tainted soul and deliver it to Elysium!"

Bluish sparks encircle the hammerhead as he swings it down, striking the soul and purifying it. When the purified soul vanishes into thin air, the woman's body disintegrates into light particles.

"Rest in peace," he whispers, a weight on his heart. The sledgehammer disappears from his grasp, only to reappear as a silver cross anklet on his left ankle.

A commotion erupts, and Nihar turns to see people swarming the street's entrance, staring at him in horror. Of course, they had just witnessed someone vanish, not to mention Nihar's presence. He doesn't have time to reassure them, though, as he still needs to find the Outcast's victims and the victims of her victims. To his relief, Alhena is just a small town, so finding the low-level demons won't be difficult.

Nihar bows deeply to the crowd before leaving, roof hopping away from them. He breathes a sigh of relief as he descends into an empty alleyway.

He will stay in this town for the time being and will not rest until this place is free of demons again.

As he comes out of the alley, he finds himself in a bustling area. People walk from one stall to the next, checking the products and making purchases. As he weaves his way through the crowd, the rhythmic sound of carriage wheels rolling across the concrete pavement becomes louder. He has returned to the main square.

So, I'll check this place again before hiring a carriage to tour the entire town.

While strolling around the crowded square, his gaze lands on a young couple walking hand in hand. His face automatically cracks into a smile when he remembers someone.

"Ah, I wonder how she's doing now?" Nihar whispers to himself, his heart fluttering inside his chest.

It's been two months since he last saw her, and his heart yearns to see and hold her. But Cyrus is right: the headquarters need him. Things have gotten worse. The Blood Demons have returned and are on the prowl.

Maybe their paths will cross again if the Light allows it. But, for the time being, it is impossible, as they must attend to their own responsibilities as Aragons.

I'll see you soon, Victoria.

While looking around, an idea comes to his mind.

What if I just electrocute everyone here? That may sound humorous, but he doesn't mean it in that way. He may frighten people, but no innocent humans will be harmed, and it will make his job easier to expose a demon. Furthermore, many pure souls will be corrupted should too much time elapse.

While still deep in thought, he fails to notice the man in front of him and bumps into him. He steps back.

"I'm sorry!" Nihar says as he lowers himself into a bow. But as he straightens up to face the person in front of him, he frowns.

A tall man in a black cloak stands before him. His features are indistinguishable due to the hood and eye patch he is wearing. What's odd is the aura that surrounds the strange man. It's so dark and heavy that Nihar gets a shiver down his spine.

Who the heck is this man?

"Hey, I'm sorry about that," Nihar says.

The man merely stares at him, then his golden eye falls to the badge pinned to Nihar's chest.

Nihar narrows his eyes.