Chapter Twenty Four

Miserably, I got ready for school. I knew I'd have to face Benny, for fucks sake I have three classes with him. At the least I made a new friend, that Phillips guy.

I should've asked what school he went to. Either way I rummaged through my closet to look for something to wear. I grabbed some black cargo pants, a black cami top, and a flannel.

I then put on my blue converse to top it all off

I then put on my blue converse to top it all off. My heart still felt heavy after the memory of last night. I still managed to drag myself downstairs.

"You leaving for school?" My mom asked with an angry look on her face. She was sitting at the dining table with a cigarette between her index and middle finger.

"Yeah." I answered holding onto my backpack straps, I'd expect it to be a little obvious. She rolled her eyes and began to ignore my presence. I continued to drag myself out the front door.

I saw Benny across the street, with a sad look on his face. I just wanted someone to be there for me to be honest, but if I was going to be specific, I want Benny to be here for me. Even though he is the one who hurt me this time.

I just ignored him and continued walking. Fuck, him.

* * * *

I arrived at school and looked for someone I knew. I didn't know many people, so no luck for me exactly.

"Hey Rowan!" I heard someone's voice yell from behind me. I turned around to see the same guy from last night.

"Oh hey." I faked smiled once he came up to me, "Phillips, right?"

"Yeah." He nodded.

"I didn't know you went to this school." I claimed.

He shrugged, "Now you do. We still down for Ruby's diner tonight? Remember, it's on me." He smirked.

I gave him a weird look, "Yeah of course.."

"Alright cool." He lightly slapped my shoulder, walking off. I saw Benny pop up in my view. He was with his friend Bertram, they were both starring at me. I ignored them though and walked away. The bell rang right as I began walking so I headed over to my first period.

I then remembered my seat is right next to Benny. I plopped down in my seat angrily with my face resting against my fist. I saw Benny in the corner of my eye sit down, but I didn't even glance at him.

I could see that he was about to say something to me, but he stopped himself. Mr. Smith walked in and began to teach the lesson. Of course I wasn't paying attention, I was too focused on the fact I was sitting next to Benny and I couldn't even fucking look in his direction.

It was so painful, my head also hurt like a bitch due to all the stress.

"Hey Benny." I heard Ashley say flirtatiously, "You gotta pencil I could borrow?" I glanced at her quickly to see her twirling her hair with her finger.

Gross.

"No." He replied blankly with no emotion in his voice.

She frowned, "Okay, well what are you doing after school?" She put both of her hands on his desk.

"None of your business Ashley." He spat, "Now if you'll excuse me, I'm tryna learn."

I really wondered what's gotten into him. He was always so nice. I mean yeah he was always a dick to every girl that was interested in him, and when he needed it, he'd milk the attention he got. Now that I really think about it, I think Benny really did stop liking me. All because I was interested in him, wow. I really am no special. Was he nice to me just because he needed something?

Once the bell rang I ran out of my first period classroom and made my way to my second period. Rosaline was outside the class waiting for me, thankfully. Since Rosaline was my closest friend, I told her everything that happened.

"What. The. Fuck." Her jaw was slightly dropped as she let her arm sit on her desk, "I'm so sorry Rowan, he's such a dick."

"Obviously." I responded, "It fucking sucks even more that he's my neighbor and that I have three classes with him."

"Plus you sit next to him in first period."

"Not helping."

"Sorry."

"Anyways, I need to focus on something else. So what'd you do all weekend?" I changed the subject.

"Honestly, I just stayed at my house all day."

I nodded.

* * * *

The final bell rang, I walked subtly out of my classroom. I bumped into Benny as everybody was trying to shuffle their way out of the door. He didn't say anything to me, and I didn't say anything to him.

Once I made it out the classroom door, I walked quickly down the halls to get out of school. I only had an hour to get ready and go to Ruby's diner.

I ran inside and thankfully my mother wasn't home. All I did was straighten my hair and fixed up my makeup.

I only had thirty minutes now to get to the diner. I quickly grabbed my skateboard and made my way there.

The breeze brushing against my face, while hurt filled my head. I couldn't get Benny out of my head, I've never had to deal with this before.

I opened the door to Ruby's diner to already see Phillips sitting in a booth with his hands folded together nervously.

Word Count: 923