Chapter 42

Lillian's POV

Tonight is the night Kent takes me out dinner as promised.

I was getting out the shower and I stumble across Kent putting on a crisp navy blue suit with matching slacks, a white T-shirt and brown dress shoes. His hair is shined back and he touched up on his shaving a little.

"Did you still get the dress from earlier in the week? You can still wear it," he suggested.

"That's the best thing I've heard yet," I could feel butterflies forming as Kent talks about taking me out.

"I'll wait in the living room- surprise me," he kisses the side of my head and leaves me with the bedroom to myself.

I was in a bit of a rush, but I managed to get dressed with the very same look from that night out with Stefani..

"Hey honey? You r-

Kent's eyes were big as his mouth was speechless to whatever he was going to say next.

"It's not dress casual, but it's alright- I hope," I finished putting on my heels and reached for my purse.

"It's- perfect!" He was eager to cup my face and I stopped him midway with a playful smile.

"My makeup has not finished setting- but thank you," I smiled warmly and kissed his cheek.

"Shall we get going?" He was waiting for me at the door excited as ever.

"Gladly," I stepped out first and followed behind.

Am I too conscious that he didn't open the car door for me but Stefani did?...

I need to brush those thoughts off.

"So? How was your day today?" He started off as he was focused on the road.

"Kent, I spent the entire day with you and you're gonna ask me a question like that?" I giggled.

"I mean- it's a great conversation starter if you ask me," he defends himself and I rolled my eyes with a smile.

"Considering I spent the day exactly how I wanted to, I'd say it was pretty damn close to perfect. How about yourself?" I looked at him and rested my hand on his forearm.

"Couldn't have said it any different," he smiled..

The rest of the car ride was pretty much silent until we pulled up to...

...the exact same restaurant Stefani took me...

"What? You don't like Italian?" He put the car in park.

"N-no. Just... don't get onions and garlic," I sighed as I stepped out of the car.

"What's wrong with onions and garlic?" He was so confused.

I, on the other hand, was giggling but my excitement died down when I had realized that Kent wouldn't understand because-

...of course he wouldn't...

It was funny the way Stefani reacted- maybe I just came about it wrong. I always thought his cluelessness was cute about him and it would make me laugh when I'd have to explain it for him to understand like we'd use to on our previous dates before getting serious. But Stefani always had Something clever to say that would make me-

Question myself.

But I wasn't questioning myself the way I am with Kent.

I keep making comparisons between the two and deep down I know what the comparisons are for, but I should not be comparing Kent to his daughter as to what kind of lover I prefer.

My choice was clear when I became engaged to Kent.

"Hey, did you want to get something to drink before we order?" Kent interrupted my thoughts and I flinched when I realized we were inside already seated..

I could barely hear myself think with all the chattering and the dishes clinking... are we really next to the kitchen?

"Is there any other place- preferably quiet to have our dinner?" I leaned over to Kent to speak with him.

"No, this was the only table available for tonight. It's been completely booked since they've opened," he shrugged.

Odd...

Stefani managed to reserve the entire rooftop when we got here...

"Water with extra ice," I told the waiter and he noted it down.

"No wine?" Kent almost pouted.

A small laugh slipped between my lips and I shook my head. I want to remember every memory I make with him.

It's just hard to accomplish when the only memory of Stefani genuinely smiling was when she was sitting across the dinner table from me...

That single memory takes up the capacity of all else.

"Like father like daughter!" The head chef of the restaurant startled me and my thoughts as Kent gets up to greet the man.

"Hey there!" Kent gets excited.

"Well, it's nice to know the family is eating here," the Italian chef was genuinely enlightened by our presence.

"Oh I wish, you know Stefani," Kent softly chuckled.

"Tsk tsk I know Stefani too well. So well, I wasn't surprised when she made reservations to have the entire rooftop and her plus one," the man nudged him and I hitched a nervous breath.

"I didn't know Stefani was seeing someone before she flew out..." Kent settled back into his seat across from me. He actually looked someone bummed out.

"She wanted to make a good impression for her date. We made sure it was top tier- mwah, you should've seen the intensity. The sparks," he gave a chefs kiss as he spoke.

It was making my skin all hot that me and Stefani were seen together..

There was an awkward moment of silence as Kent continued to keep himself in thoughts.

"I'll let you get back to serenading my friend, good to see you again. Enjoy!" He went through the double doors and the clinking of dishes were deafening to the ears but it died down.

"Stefani rented the rooftop? Huh... she outdid me and I'm suppose to be the flashy one," he softly chuckled.

"Oh come on Kent, your ego can't possibly be shot down by your own daughter," I brushed off the fact that she did out do him- god I'm so fucked up for even thinking that.

"I bet her impression was breath taking considering the view of the city and the garden they have up there on the rooftop.." Kent was still hung up on things..

I hope he doesn't put it together that his friend was referring to me as her plus one that night.

"Did you know Stefani was seeing someone?" Kent changed the conversation- somewhat.

"No? Is that a big deal- well considering who we're talking about, her making an effort to impress someone is something to take note of," I tried to play it cool.

"To me it is.. she pulled a big girl move. Consider me jealous," he scoffed.

"Oh come on, it shouldn't be that significant since she left on such short notice right after the night of the dinner," I nervously laughed and sipped my water.

I somewhat felt my own heart tug at the thought of Stefani leaving because of me. Of course I know it wasn't just an ordinary date she made preparations for. She wanted to impress me that night..

"You're right..." he starts to shake off his thoughts.

"I'm also right that this date should be about us," I reached for Kent's hand to bring his focus fully back to me-

for both of our sakes.