Nine; Patience Is A Virtue

╔══════ ∘◦ ♔ ◦∘ ══════╗Patience Is A Virtue╚══════ ∘◦ ♔ ◦∘ ══════╝

Patience Is A Virtue
╚══════ ∘◦ ♔ ◦∘ ══════╝

     Camelot had settled into a quiet routine after the tournament ended, and the citizens were glad. Gaius, Lynette, and Merlin were enjoying a pleasant walk through the streets of the lower town, doing their daily deliveries. The trio had come to enjoy the peace, and Lynette adored visiting the citizens of the lower town. She often thought she should spend more time visiting, but something was always getting in the way. On days like this, Lynette felt a genuine smile gracing her lips as she watched children play in the streets.

     "It's so beautiful today." She murmured.

     Gaius nodded as he hooked his arm through hers, "Indeed."

     Merlin followed behind them, holding most of Gaius' stuff, "You know, when you mentioned a nice outing, I didn't imagine being a pack mule."

     Lynette let out a light laugh as she took one of the baskets from his hands before returning to her father's side. Up ahead was a small group of children hovering over something and whispering. Lynette surged forward to greet them and was horrified by what she found them fascinated with. A black and blue corpse lay on the streets, the man's eyes white and his skin paler than Lynette had ever seen. She shooed the children home and swore them to secrecy as she flagged Merlin and her father over.

     "Aren't you scared?" Merlin asked as Gaius knelt to examine it.

     "Of what?" He asked as Lynette cocked her head to the side in confusion.

     "That you might catch whatever it is," Merlin answered.

     Lynette had never considered her safety when it came to the well-being of Camelot. Especially when she knew a patient needed her the most. The girl looked over at Merlin to find his gaze had never left the body before them. The body of a man that looked no older than her, and yet he was still in his prime. His clothes suggested a low-born servant, and he had nothing of value on him. She had thought it to be a mugging by poison, but she and her father closely monitored fatal herbs.