3 || Touristy Things

Start from the beginning

It was even cooler considering that some of the workers there were wearing authentic Korean clothes that were popular around the time the palace was built.

We had to pay for admission, but the one worker there was super friendly.

"Annyeonghaseyo gyeongboggung-e osin geos-eul hwan-yeonghabnida (안녕하세요 경복궁에 오신 것을 환영합니다). Hello, welcome to gyeongbokgung palace," she said with a smile before we went in.

"Kamsahabnida (감사합니다)," my dad said. Thank you.

The Korean woman only smiled before nodding us on. "Tours can be booked regularly at the admissions office."

I want sure if we were going to book a full tour, but I was happy just walking around. I enjoyed how they had different information signs. Half was written in korean while the other half was in english.

I stopped at one if the signs, reading a short snippet.

Originally built by King Taejo, the founder of the Joseon dynasty, Gyeongbokgung served as the principal palace until 1592, when it was burnt down during the Japanese invasions. It lay in ruins for nearly 300 years until Heungseon Daewongun, regent and father of King Gojong, started to rebuild it in 1865. King Gojong moved in during 1868, but the expensive rebuilding project virtually bankrupted the government.

"Find anything interesting?" Sam said, coming up to me. Anna wasn't too far behind.

My fingers trailed over the English letters, glad that not all of the information was in Korean. "I guess this place has been around for a long time."

I glanced over at my parents who were looking at eachother as if it was the first day they had seen eachother. It finally hit me in that moment. This was the place where the two of them finally bonded over 25 years ago.

I took out my phone and snapped a picture. It made me smile just looking at it. I'd want to meet someone who looked at me the way my parents looked at eachother. I looked down at the picture. Sunlight shone down on my parent's heads, making them seem resplendent in the morning sun light. With the palace walls in the distance, the whole thing seemed to be captured perfectly.

We walked to where the front of the palace was so that we could take some photos. My dad walked up to a friendly couple who was also viewing the palace.

"Ulileul wihae sajin-eul jjig-eo jusil su iss-eulkkayo?" he asked, holding out his phone.

I wasn't completely sure what he said, but it must have been asking to take our picture.

The korean couple nodded before taking the phone, albeit a little surprised he spoke korean. It wasn't everyday that you saw a caucasian person fluent in this language. My dad joined where we were huddled while the korean girl held out the phone.

"Hanna, dul, set!" She said before snapping a few pictures. We all smiled before the girl gave back my dad's phone and joined her boyfriend.

We spent most of the time taking pictures and looking at all of the cool displays. It wasn't until around noon that there was a cool demonstration where some people showed what culture was like back in the 14th century.

Of course, the presentation was disrupted by a bright flash of light and a few gasps. I immediately looked over to where the commotion was.

Two people were looking just as shocked as the rest of us were, but it was clear that these two were soulmates, and they just bonded. Apart from the bright flash of light, the two of them also had intricate body tattoos that looked like swirls. From the looks if it, they had a temporary flash bond, and a tattoo bond. It wasn't super common for people to be bonded in more than one subcategory of soul bonds.