TWENTY-SEVEN

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN.

THE FALL

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

TESS'S HEARTBEAT WAS a ceaseless chant in her ears.

Her hands were at the sides of her head, legs tucked close to her chest. Beside her, the ground was ravaged like an open, bloody wound. And if the floor was flesh, the dirt was the blood, pouring out of the greenish grass, sprayed up her legs, burrowing down into the crevices of her steel limb. It coated her face and left prints in her hair.

Beside her, the Mandalorian turned to rest on his knees, hand on her shoulder, the other occupied by a slim blaster. Tess was whimpering, the shots that had fired ringing out through her head. The intruders were right behind the boulder they took shelter in. Tess was sure they meant harm, and that voice drowned in gravel left shudders down her spine. They had a sniper, someone up above who had almost shot Tess.

Whoever they were, it wasn't hard to imagine they were here to kill the trio. The thought brought tears to Tess' eyes.

"Mando..." she whispered through shaky teeth. But Din did not respond, and instead held up a hand, signalling her to stop. Tess did, scrunching her eyes closed, as if in pain as silence reigned down on the halted battle.

"Tess craned her neck to watch as Din slowly moved around her, keeping his gun level with his chest, pointed outwards. Her eyebrows furrowed, eyes widening as she saw what Din was doing. When he looked at her, the girl gave him an incredulous look, question on her features, but all the bounty hunter did was shake his helmeted head and continue on.

Din Djarin slowly made his way out of the protection of the stone, his hands out to his side, head stiff and shoulders rolled back. Tess twisted her body to look after him, panic fluttering inside her chest, back aching. She wanted to scream at him, to question what he was doing, to tear her hair out as his insane actions, but all she could do was watch, helpless. A lamb in a world of lions.