TWENTY-NINE

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE.

THE EYE

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

DIN HAD A decision to make, though he wasn't sure he could do it in time.

The Mandalorian Code had been both his answer and his defeat in the many years Din had stalked through this galaxy. It kept him grounded, sustained, anchored to a single purpose lest he float away. For so long, the Code was never his enemy. In many ways, it still wasn't, continuing to be his salvation in every way except a few.

Now, Din watched from the entrance to the officer's mess, a legion of his adversaries cheering around him, and felt his stomach drop as Mayfeld dealt a killing blow.

"I can't." the man whispered desperately. He was referring to the terminal they needed to access located in the corner of the mess hall, which now seemed to be blocked by a former commanding officer of the reformed prisoner. "We have to abort. I'm sorry." the man turned to go, but Din, half his body numb to the revelation, grabbed for Mayfeld's arm, holding on tight.

"No-" he said. "I can't. If we don't get those coordinates I'll lose the kids forever." Mayfeld frowned at him, and Din could understand why. "Give me the data stick."

Mayfeld shook his head. "It's not gonna work." Din was just about ready to blast something, his insides eating away at him in desperation. Mayfeld paused in his explanation and smiled to the troopers behind Din. The Mandalorians sweat caused an itch to spread across his forehead. He was tired of wearing a mask that wasn't his, tired of having this weight on top of him. Tired of waiting to save Tess and Grogu, to see if it was even possible.

Mayfeld at last continued, but Din wished he hadn't spoken at all. "In order to access the network, the terminal has to scan your face." Din was suddenly reminded of the first time he had ever removed his helmet unwillingly, death grasping at his limbs like a long-lost lover, the claws of IG-11 attempting to save his life. His body had been coated in blood and sweat and perhaps even some tears. Din thought that was the first time he had ever felt truly and completely helpless. He remembered putting his life in that droid's hands, hot air on his face and the first puncture of shame dipping into his skull.

Then Din thought of the times he'd revoked the Code after that, again and again and again. He thought of Tess, and how disappointed she would be if she knew what kind of man he was before meeting her. What would she think of him now? What would she want him to do?

The truth was, Din had no idea. Tess was as unpredictable as a storm, which he'd thought so often in her company. Would she condemn him for trying to get them back? Or would she scold him for not doing everything in his power to protect her and Grogu? Whatever she would say (or not say, now that he thought about it), Din was sure of one thing: Tess Oprin wouldn't give up on the things she cared about. Not now. Not ever.