TWENTY-FOUR

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR.

THE DAMNED

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

TESS WAS CONFUSED.

She didn't often admit this, especially not to herself, but as the night sky closed in like an ebony blanket and she continued to sit with her hands in her lap, the girl allowed a sliver of uncertainty to crawl into her unfeeling chest.

The world around her was hazy and foreign, a light fog enveloping the barren trees of Corvus. The night sky was glittering with stars barely visible. The only light came from the planet's moon, high above and shadowed so that it looked like a glowing blur. A lamp burned dimly beside her, it's yellow light pouring from the cage as if it were liquid gold.

Usually, Tess hated nights like this. Nights where everything was quiet and dark, all creatures asleep and having dreams which brought them comfort. Tess had always loved the sunsets, where the burning star would be eclipsed and let's it's molten illumination sweep over the plains of Tatooine like a storm.

But... Tess hated what came after dusk.

It was ironic, the girl thought as she watched the Jedi named Ahsoka Tano peer at the little green child, that everything she loved was somehow always overtaken by something she hated.

Her life with her parents and the Imperial occupation.

Jo and the Marshal in Mos Pelgo and everyone else in that town.

Leaving with the Mandalorian and... having to say goodbye.

Tess gulped down the lump rising in her throat. Her head turned slightly, eyes peering through the darkness to see the faint outline of the Mandalorian far away from them. She knew he was looking over at them, and could see him pacing back and forth, arms crossed over his beskar clad chest. Tess clenched her jaw, the worry radiating off him fissuring inside her own heart. She reached a hand up to rub the spot over the bleeding, bruised ball that keeps her alive.

It was as if a rope had been pulled, taut and unflinching, yanking her forward, with no signs of releasing. That was her power, she knew. It was the divine force that has wormed its way inside her, lighting her bones, trying to burn her from the inside out. Tess gulped, her hands shaking as she looked over to Ahsoka, who still stared at the child.

There was something happening between them, but Tess could not see what. She more so felt it. Like a shimmer of water spilt over her head, just a taste of what was really going on. All she knew was that it had something to do with the power, and that she was not strong enough to see it.