TEN

CHAPTER TEN. 

THE VOYAGER

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Tess watched with uninterested eyes as one of Peli Motto's droids turned the large hunk of dragon meat over a spit. The flames from the engine they were using licked at the soft flesh, burning it to a crisp, blackening the outside skin. Tess gave a disgusted shake of her head, despite her mouth watering at the smell, and turned away. The child was still watching the meat with keen interest, and Tess raised a brow before walking over to stand next to the Mandalorian.

He was also watching the child, hands on his hips. His Beskar armor glinted in the dim light, illuminating the curved and delicate craftsmanship of the metal. It looked golden as he stood, silhouetted against the flames. Tess said nothing, only glanced up at him, crossed her arms over her chest, and turned back to the child.

To the side of them, Peli emerged, as boisterous as ever, and pointed a finger at the droid roasting the meat. "Hey, don't overcook it, Treadwell!" she yelled towards the droid, and Tess winced at how loud she was, this woman always seemed to be screaming, and it was starting to give Tess a headache. "I like it medium rare!"

Tess cocked her head to the side and whispered to the Mandalorian. "Tell me again why we're letting her eat our meat?" The Mandalorian smirked under his helmet and didn't reply, only shrugged his shoulders and looked back to the child. Tess scowled at the Mandalorian's lack of an answer, so she turned her head to survey their surroundings.

They stood in a small port near the edge of Mos Eisley, spare parts and mechanic tools strewn about the floor. About half a dozen pit droids milled about the place, welding together pipes or looking over at the meat. Tess turned her head more to see the Mandalorian's ship, the Razor Crest, he'd told her about earlier. Her nose crinkled at the sight of it as she remembered her and the Mandalorian's conversation before they were attacked.

It works.

Well?

It works. 

Tess shook her head at the sight of the rusty old thing, taking in the many patched up holes and the load of carbon scoring scuffed around the engine. She almost didn't want to know how badly in shape it was on the inside, where Mando had told her she could help fix it.

Something sparked inside her chest at the thought of getting her hands on some tools and fixing the vehicle up a bit. Ideas already began to sprung through her head as Peli continued to yell at her droid.