SIXTEEN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN. 

THE WITNESS

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

"THIS IS A bad idea." Tess told the Mandalorian as the man knocked on the metal door, beskar rattling against the steel.

They stood in a dimly lit hallway, in an apartment complex on the edge of town. The flickering yellow lights illuminated the Mandalorian's armour and seemed to set fire to the girl's eyes. They stood beside one another, facing the door to the Frog Lady's home. Mando glanced at Tess, who leaned heavily on her flesh leg, biting the bottom of her lip. Every once in a while, her half-mechanicl leg spasmed, the gears trying to turn. When they met the rust that had grown rapidly as a result of the water, they groaned, sending reverberations up her leg.

Once they'd heard Bo-Katan and her troupe out, the other Mandalorians had taken them to the docks again, helping them climb up one of the ships to explain what they needed for the mission. Tess had only been half-listening, exhaustion finding a home in her heart. As Bo and her crew described the job —something to do with a surplus of old Empire weapons— Tess gazed at the water, every so often closing her eyes, thoughts drifting. When this happened, the Mandalorian, who stood behind her, kicked the girl swiftly in the back.

Remembering this, Tess rubbed the sore spot, frowning. A hint of guilt made it's way through the Mandalorian, but he didn't have time to say anything before the door slid open, revealing a quaint tan room. At the end, sitting at a table, holding each other's hands, were Frog Lady and her husband.

They looked up instinctively, and both their eyes lit when they saw who was knocking at their door. The Mandalorian didn't hesitate to walk inside while Tess staggered hesitantly into the space, an awkward look on her features. The Mandalorian beckoned her forward, and Tess gave him a glare before limping to go beside him. She crossed her arms over her chest and shifted from foot to foot. The child in Mando's arms cooed at her, and Tess gave him a small smile before turning back to the conversation at hand.

"Something's come up." The Mandalorian told them, holding out the child to Frog Lady's outstretched arms. "Can I leave them with you for a bit?'' Frog Lady spoke in her language, but nodded for them. Still slightly sore about the Mandalorian feeling he needed to leave Tess int the care of someone, the girl walked over and sat in a chair by the table.

The Mandalorian looked at her out of the corner of his eye, but said nothing, turning to the child still in his arms. "You and Tess are gonna stay here. So," he spoke louder for the seething mechanic still looking down at her hands. "I want you to be respectful." At this Tess did turn to him, and her eyes singed holes through the weak points of his armor, but Mando stood his ground. He'd meant every word. "And, mind your manners." Tess bit the inside of her cheek and turned in her chair to face him properly. Mando handed the child to Frog Lady, and now only speaking to the green creature, he pointed a finger at it.