EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT. 

THE UNCERTAIN

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

The cheers could be heard from miles away.

The townsfolk and raiders all clustered together around the carcass of the dragon, holding their blasters and rifles in the air, celebrating alongside each other. They hugged and kissed each other on the cheek, the raiders making a guttural celebration sound from their mouths. The children came out hesitantly from their hiding spot, and when they saw their parents laughing together, beckoning them over, they ran towards them with delighted squeals.

Tess kept a hold of the Marshal as they limped closer to the Mandalorian. Her legs would give way under her every couple of seconds, exhaustion filling up within her like a glass of spotchka. She was so tired. Her body ached, as if a hammer had pounded in her skull and shattered her bones. Her palms, where that strange power had erupted from her body, were sore, as if a hundred little needles were digging their way into her flesh.

It hurt. It hurt so much.

The Marshal kept a firm hand on Tess as the Mandalorian walked hurriedly toward them. Tess frowned when she saw that he was covered in sticky green goo, the liquid dripping down his normally pristine helmet and ooze to the floor. She almost wanted to laugh at the sight of him, but found no energy to open her mouth. The Mandalorian ran quickly up towards and stopped right before he was about to take Tess into his arms. Under his helmet, a smile gleaned across his face, eyes alight at the sight of the young girl still alive and breathing after what she had done. Tess simply stared at him, a scowl growing on her face.

Then, finding enough energy to release one arm from the Marshal, Tess went up to the Mandalorian and smacked him hard against the chest.

The Mandalorian took a shocked step back as Tess tried to punch him again, but the Marshal wrapped his arms around her, holding her back from hitting the Mandalorian. Her eyes blazed and her fists ached from where she'd hit the impenetrable Beskar, but she forced herself to stay awake. To stay alert. To stay angry.

"Why did you do that?!" Tess practically screamed at the Mandalorian. Both Vanth and Mando looked at each other cautiously. "Why would you do something as stupid as that?!"

The Mandalorian cocked his head to the side. "Tess—"

"I told you to get the explosives on the inside of the Dragon!" Tess yelled. "Not put yourself there too!" the Mandalorian raised an eyebrow as she pushed up against the Marshal, her eyes staring into his own with a ferocity that would have once made him want to turn and walk the other way. He would have once winced at her stormy grey-blue irises meeting his (not that she knew) and wanted nothing to do with a girl as volatile as Tess Oprin. The Mandalorian would have once tried to stay away.