NINE

CHAPTER NINE. 

THE PROMISE

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Tess had wanted to turn back exactly three times since sitting on the back of the Mandalorian's speeder bike and riding off into the distance.

She had wanted to jump right then and there, let go of the Mandalorian's waist and leap into the sands. She didn't care if her legs would get scraped or her head would ache, she just wanted to get back to Mos Pelgo. Back to the Marshal's open embrace and Jo's beautiful golden smile. Back to the safety of the familiar. Back to a place she knew and understood, not speeding through the dunes of Tatooine, going into an unknown world that Tess had learnt was never kind to people like her. She did not want to be caught up in whatever danger the Mandalorian would most likely get wrapped up in, did not want to leave the spaceport in a ship, flying through the stars for the first time in her life.

Since leaving the sight of the krayt dragon, everything had changed for Tess Oprin, and she still wasn't sure if it was for better or for worse.

That being said, despite her misgivings, Tess did not turn back. She held onto the Mandalorian as he sped through the sands, driving towards Mos Eisley. The thought of that wretched port made her stomach tighten, but Tess said nothing. But she didn't need to, as the Mandalorian could sense her unease from the way she gripped him tightly, and how every once in a while he could feel her eyes boring into the back of his skull.

The warrior was still in shock that Tess had decided to come with him. It had been an offhand comment, something he wanted, but did not think she would take seriously. Yet here she was, sitting on his speeder bike, watching the landscape pass by in a blur. She was here, with him, going off towards a new future. Now the Mandalorian's mission grew more important. It had something more added to it, another being in his care, another child he needed to help. The Mandalorian smiled under his helmet.

He was happy that Tess was with him, even if she still seemed cautious.

"So..." Tess finally spoke behind him, and the Mandalorian inclined his head towards her a little, yet keeping his eyes trained ahead of him.

"Yes?" he asked softly. Tess let out a breath and turned her head out to the sands. The canyons around them seemed to become one giant blur, and her eyes watered from the wind that whipped across her face. The Mandalorian could not see her, but he understood her silence. She didn't know. Gods she really was bad at small talk, he thought to himself. It wasn't surprising, given what he'd learned about the girl. She was blunt and as sharp as a dagger, ready to stab at anyone that came too close. The Mandalorian was again surprised that she was here, with him, instead of back where he knew she was more comfortable.