Dawn Two

Keeping up the dating act with Courtney was exhausting. The more and more time I spent with her the more I knew I was falling. When I kissed Anne Maria, I realized we had absolutely no spark. My feelings for Courtney were stronger and it killed me. Especially knowing we'd have to break up soon.

One day at lunch Brittany was super excited. "Dawn just texted and invited me to her flute playing competition." My heart skipped a beat remembering the girl. I hadn't thought about her in a while. "Anyone want to join me tonight?" She asked excited.

"I have plans." Courtney said glued to her phone. Probably texting Duncan. I looked around and saw him also looking at his phone. Gwen wasn't with him.

"I guess me and Mary can come with you. I want to ask her about her mission's trip to Haiti this summer." Ellody said adjusting her glasses. Mary just grunted in agreement.

I wanted to ask if I could go too but I knew it would look weird. Especially after how I treated her. "I think Scott would want to go too." Courtney spoke up causing everyone to look at me confused. "Didn't you want to apologize for bullying her?" She asked.

"Ah yeah..."

That's how I ended up at a flute concert. I sat directly behind the judges. It was shocking how easy it was to hear their thoughts as the performances went on.

One particular judge had an extreme love for whenever someone played a song in a perfect traditional way

One particular judge had an extreme love for whenever someone played a song in a perfect traditional way. He was a Japanese man with foggy glasses. He seemed particularly annoyed when a pale girl with long blonde hair and blue eyes walked on stage. She wore a light blue dress with matching converse with flowers all over them. Dawn was even cuter in person.

"Next up is Dawn Evergarden. Valedictorian of her year at Higurashi private school and 10-time champion." She did a cute little bow and started playing her flute. The Rhythm seemed to be more upbeat and interesting than the others. I could tell the judge in front of us was pissed off but everyone in the group was cheering her on.

"This sounds different than everyone else's performances." I whispered to Brittany.

"That's because she's playing Overnight Celebrity by Twista and not the usual." She whispered back smiling. "I know because we often practice music together over FaceTime whenever we have time." It seemed like the judge heard us and took out his phone to look up the song I could tell he was getting angrier and angrier.

Because that one judge in particular hated her she only got third place. Which she still seemed happy about. The girls crowded around her in the grand hall being louder than anyone else in the room. I just stood away from them awkwardly as I looked over at Dawn who seemed happy. Maybe I shouldn't interfere. Her life seemed to be going great and I knew seeing me would probably ruin her night. I was about to walk outside when I accidentally dumped into the shorter girl.

"So-sorry." I said blushing as I caught her. She looked up at me also a bit flustered.

"It's cool. At least you caught me." She said standing up and fixing her dress.

".... Congrats on the win have a good night." I said panicking and running away.

"Wait Scott?" Dawn asked as I left. I heard her calling for me but I was too nervous to face her. Maybe someday I would be brave enough but not tonight.

Courtney texted me that night and asked if I talked to her. I thought back to the awkward conversation I had with Dawn and replied no.