14.| Ref

♡︎Emerson♡︎

We're losing the game right now, it's the first game the girls have even been close to losing and I hope the girls take it okay.

They will, they used to lose every game. Right?

I look into the bleachers while number 7 on the opposite team shoots her first foul shot.

I see Ivor already looking at me, a smile stretching ear to ear across his face.

Number 7 misses her first shot but makes the second and the game continues. The score isn't that far apart. It's 9-15 and we're still in the first quarter so that is not bad at all.

The way the periods are working in this season is different then they are in the lower grades. The lower grades have 4 quarters 7 or 8 minutes each with a minute between each and 3 minutes between the second and third for half time.

Now, there are only 2 quarters, 18 minutes each with a two minute break in between.

With 4 minutes left in the first half, I find myself wishing I had a little more experience in the coaching department.

Coach B isn't here, he is visiting with his sister, Amelia; who just had a baby.

The same girl who went into labor at our diner yesterday we figured out. Small damn world am I right.

That whole thing was an experience.

I don't think I will ever go another day in my life ever without thinking about that.

Shit. That had to of hurt, one of my girls just got fouled on a lay-up and she hit the wall. That is one thing I do not miss about basketball. That is a lie. I miss everything about the sport.

✈︎_ _ _ _ _ _ _

At half time the girls semi-jogged over to our bench and grabbed their drinks.

I was just about to reach down for the small coaches whiteboard to show the girls which defense play I want to try for the second half of the game, when I fell two arms around my waist grab me from the back.

They turn me around so I'm facing looking into Ivor Hill's dark brown eyes. He reaches down and kisses my cheek before turning around and running back to the bleachers.

I few parents give him a weird look and a few others shrug it off, I'm left speechless. Apparently it's not just his football games half times that he decides to kiss my cheek. I'm not mad at it though.

Tom, who is in the crowd, looks at me and waves his hand like a fan in front of his face and bats his eye lashes.

Child, he's a child.

Don't ask me how he, a world-renowned neurosurgeon got two days in a row off. And definitely do not ask me why he chose to spend them with me, and Ivor I guess.

He has to meet Ryden and JJ.

I heard two girls in the hallway the other day talking about how JJ, Ryden, Ivor, and I are inseparable.

That was weird. Something I've never heard before.

I see a taller girl on the opposing team intentionally elbow 3 in the nose and the smaller blonde immediately brings her hands to her now bleeding face.

"TIME," I call out and the ref blows his whistle.

The other team members follow me, running over to Sarah and see if she's okay.

I pull her out of the game for now, bringing her over to bench. Her mother begins to stand up to walk over, but she waves her off, non-verbally saying she's fine.