(37) Smiles

The rain was heavy as Kimberly and the Mitchell's ran out to the car. They were going to visit Dale in prison today and hopefully figure a way to get him out.

During the car ride Kimberley was quiet as Caiden and Robert spoke amongst themselves, she was nervous even when she had no reason to be. She hadn't seen her father for almost two months, she was excited to see him but who knew how he'd act when they got there. What if he had gotten into a fight? What state would he be in when she saw him? All the terrible thoughts made her want to turn around.

"Do you think this is smart?"

"Do we think what is, babe?" Caiden questioned, turning his head to look at the backseats where she sat.

"What if he did do it? I don't know if I want to-"

"Kimberly, don't you dare." Robert was quick to cut her off. "You know your Father would never do such a thing, don't you ever for a single second doubt him like that. Okay?"

"I'm sorry." She mumbled quietly, letting her gaze fall.

Robert sighed. He took his right hand off the wheel and reached behind him for Kimberly's hand. "Don't be sorry, precious, just don't be so quick to judge, okay? We know your father is innocent and he'll be home to you soon." And then she'll no longer be yours. A dark thought crept into Robert's mind. He squeezed his eyes shut for a moment to clear it.

"I just worry, I'd never want to defend anyone that is in the wrong."

"Then isn't it good that he isn't in the wrong, some inconsiderate monstrosity of a man who must have framed him is." Robert side eyes Caiden, barely even attempting to hide the boy's lie.

Kim just sighed again.

After going through metal detectors and Caiden being tapped down by a guard they were in the visitation room where they waited for Dale to appear. Kimberly's leg was bouncing like crazy, she was unable to hold in all her anxiousness that was making her feel like she was about to burst.

Robert placed his hand on her knee, stopping it from bouncing. His cold rings contrasted against her hot skin. He softly squeezed her lower thigh and whispered, "Everything will be okay, Angel."

Kimberly squeezed her thighs together, nit knowing Robert knew what that meant. Stop it. She scolded herself. Yet Robert still smirked slightly to himself.

"You two make me sick."

"I feel the same way when I look at you."

Robert raised his brows and turned his head to look at Kimberly who had just blurted out the meanest thing she likely had ever said to anyone ever. She had both of her hands slapped over her mouth with her eyes wide. She turned to look at Caiden who was standing behind her. "I am so-"

"What did you just say to me?" Caiden bend down lightly, attempting to possibly intimidate Kimberly. "Don't you dare-"

Robert shoved his son away from Kimberly. "Don't you ever speak to her like that again. Do you hear me?"

"I am not a child. I-"

"Do you hear me?" Robert repeated, only this time a little louder.

"Wow. Fine." Caiden rolled his eyes like the chick he just said he wasn't.

"What's going on here? Everyone okay?" Dale's voice caught all of their attention, except this time he didn't quite sound like himself. Dale always sounded so cheerful, he could play a store's Santa if he wanted to, he always had a jolly vibe to him. But this time it was gone. The large smile Dale usually carried with him was lost, only left with an obviously fake smile to replace it, he had lost weight especially in his face, even the peachy colour of his skin had faded to almost grey.

"Dad." Kimberly exhaled, she didn't know how to react. "Can I hug you?"

Dale nodded. "I believe so."

Without a second thought Kimberly stood from her seat and gave her father the warmest hug she had in her. Once she pulled away she noticed a purple bruise on the man's face. She examined the painful looking mark and tried her hardest bit to break down into tears. "What're they doing to you, dad?"

Dale attention a chuckle to lighten to mood but his next few words told Kim that it wasn't an accident he had inflicted onto himself. "People find out you supposedly murdered a woman and people don't like you for that." Kimberly looked away from her father to hide a sob she could knit help but let out. "Hey hey," Dale moved his daughters face so she had to look at him.  "I'll be out soon. The Mitchell's are doing everything they can, isn't that right men?"

Robert felt a string feeling of guilt. "Of course." He lied. He could get Dale out of prison by snitching on his son, but Caiden planned it so perfectly that he could easily say that it was Robert, leaving Robert in prison himself. It was like a constant tear inside of him, does he do the right thing or the wrong?

Caiden had a smile on his face. "Of course sir. We want Kimberly to have her father back and for things to be just how they were." Lies. Caiden admitted to himself. I just want my father out of the picture so she actually will fall for me. I have no intentions on getting the old man out. Caiden often had an inner monologue playing in his head, it was part of him feeling like the main character in everything he did.

Kimberly looked to both do the men but saw an anvil is difference between the both. Robert looked like he had something rustling around his brain that he couldn't quite catch, while Caiden looked like a Labrador who had no brain all together. His smile seemed too fake. Why does he always kiss you to my father?

"That's great." Dale held his fake smile. "Now actually, Kimberly sit down." Kimberly did as told, pushing her thoughts to the side for a moment. Suddenly Dale's face fell into complete seriousness. "While I am completely grateful for all the help you both have given me and my daughter, I have to ask, why the fuck have I seen a photo of my daughter kissing the both of you?"

Well shit.